AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working with medium-texture canvas. I applied about 4 coats of Gesso (liquitex brand, the best I can find locally). Despite all the coats, the canvas' texture still makes it through. I even sanded one of the layers.

When bright pictures are panned on-screen, the texture shows through. I would appreciate any advice on getting the smoothest surface on canvas. I was unable to find any finer-texture canvas that is available in 72-inch widths.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
rich-

what size screen and what projector....

ts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mercury,

my final screen will be about 90" x 64". The projector is a Panasonic LC75U.

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

if you do 2 coats on back of the screen then a final coat on top of that i can`t say which will make it lookl better.will that work.

safaa

·
Registered
697 Posts
it just hit me

will you find that smooth or rough canvas you looking for any size at sail boats store or marina. they used all kind stuff for sail boat.

i remember that when i used to go with my father to the marina

that's was long time ago . i don`t know if they still using same material like we used back then.

safaa

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
safaa,

That's an interesting idea to check out. I was originally looking for any creative ideas to smooth out a canvas, such as using powdered gesso, mixing it thick, applying it and then sanding it. The liquid gesso just does not go on thick enough or I am missing something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Rich,

Why start with canvas to begin with? If you're going to paint it anyway, is there a strong reason you want to start with canvas and not some of the other smooth cloth choices that have been discussed here?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bandrsnatch,

I was unable to find the blackout material locally in the width I need. The Home Depot drop-cloth is not wide enough and has a middle seam. I went to cloth stores and only found single-layer blackout clock that felt cheap. I did not find any other decent alternatives.

I could also use a stretchable cloth that could be painted. I am mixing my own paint, using regular and pearlescent paint, and the test results so far have been very good.

This is my first choice, followed by the ever-popular Parkland Plastic sheet...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.