AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Split coax 8 ways and degraded the signal so bad that I can't get any data over it...
20210401_171044.jpg

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Split coax 8 ways and degraded the signal so bad that I can't get any data over it... View attachment 3118583
Hello, New Bob.

An 8-way split is at least a 10.5 dB loss of signal.

The signal must be amplified before splitting to compensate for the splitting loss. If it is split without being amplified first, it is difficult to recover the original signal quality.

Distribution amps are used for such distribution problems. They contain a splitter and an amp in one housing. One example is the Channel Master 3418 (4 dB gain for each output), which is currently out of stock.
Ultra Mini 8

An alternative could be the 3414, with 2-way passive splitters after it for 8 outputs.

The Antennas Direct CDA8 is available:
8-Output TV / CATV Distribution Amplifier

In the case of antenna signals, a preamp near the antenna might be able to provide sufficient amplification before splitting, but we don't know the details about OTA TV signal reception at your location.

In the case of the Spectrum cable, the distribution amp might need to be bi-directional for certain services that require 2-way communication with Spectrum.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Call Spectrum. They might just give you a drop amp. I'm still using the one Bright House gave me eons ago. They didn't want it back when I moved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts