AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've all seen and heard of the ebay email me your password type junk mail... Check this out: How rediculous. Is there any way to get back at these people? Can I get a living presidents citibank number and give it to the clowns so that the secret service goes after them for even attempting to access that account? :)

Dear Citibank Member,

This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your e-mail

address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link

below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit

Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.

This is done for your protection -y- becaurse some of

our members no longer have access to their email addresses and

we must verify it.

To verify your e-mail address and access your bank account,

click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the

link (or if you use AOL)e, copy and paste the link into

the address bar of your web browser.

http://www.citibank.com:ac=BQjRT0iwv...ufuP0ADw8Q7ZbZ

T---------------------------------------------

Thank you for using Citibank!

c---------------------------------------------

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
account name: Bin Laden?

Even something funny to fill out would make me happy...

Troy

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i feel you on this one...i'm tired of these a$$holes myself!!!!!there has got ot be a way to put an end to this type of fraud.

brickie

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brickie,

There is a way to combat this stuff... It's called education. :)

If we could only raise the bar on the collective IQ in this country then these folks wouldn't waste their time on dumb stuff like this, but there's always one sucker out of a thousand that keeps them at it.

I like your sig line...

Troy

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
there is only one way

to put a stop to this

don't fall for it yourself

and tell others about it

as you are doing

XANATOS

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I still think sending a crate of bricks FedEx collect to INdonesia is a great idea.

I also think that an exploding crate would wake up these morons like DHL that just smashed a G 70 to Texas incl a green tube and 2 lenses....

Or do like the guy did in the news, shipped himself to his mom's place in a crate. Have a crate that unlocks from the inside, and if you get dropped, open the crate and suckerpunch the shipper.

Curt

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Actually, I guess a safer way would be to have a shock sensor with a loud tape recording of 'Watch it, A**hole", with a time and date stamp. Open the box while the freight company is standing there. If tape has rolled, refuse the shipment and make an insurance claim right on the spot.

Curt

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I used to buy servers, Compaq would put those little "shock sensors" on the outside of each server box.

If the case had been handled too hard, a little capsule would fill with red liquid indicating that the shipment had been handled roughly.

Something similar could be done with CRTs, I am sure...

Could be interesting to ship some G recorders in anonymous boxes and analyze the Gs that the packages would have endured...

We could then make a list of the worst shippers... :)

Arno

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Now _THAT'S_ a great idea!

What if UPS, I mean a shipper destroys the G force recorder?..;)

Curt

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Could be interesting to ship some G recorders in anonymous boxes and analyze the Gs that the packages would have endured....
Now this I could have fun with. Maybe one day when I get bored and have the cash to afford their outrageous shipping prices. :)

Someone did the same thing with the US postal service. They sent a bunch of items in various states of packaging and non-packaging from different locations (blue boxes on corner, at counter, etc). A pair of Nike sneakers tied together by the shoelaces with a Post-it note on the sole (for an address label) was delieved successfully apparently, with only a "it helps when you box items" comment on delivery.

EDIT: Found the link: http://www.improb.com/airchives/pape...ostal-6-4.html

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
We checked a big gigantic beach-ball. Just on it's own. They put it in a bag, and checked it on our flight, this was this past summer. It arrived intact though, i was almost surprised it didn't explode with the pressure decrease and all.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spearce

Thanks for the laughs... UPS here I come.

Who here wants to be on the receiving end for my experimentl?

Photo attached

Troy

[edited to remove attachment. If you post anther image like that, your account will be closed.]

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
that is just hilarious, thanx for the morning chuckle...........

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:) yea, it's a joke in bad taste I admit. I came across that photo in the local newsgroups. A guy posted an ad for "free cat, you pick up" and then you open the message and BAM... I don't really like cats, I'm a dog person, so I found it hilarious.

Troy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Troy

To get back to the original thread, I fell for it. It just so happened that my wife had her purse stolen. Had to cancel all the credit cards, right after that I received an e-mail from e-bay saying I needed to update my credit information. At first I was thinking that I should not do that. So I went directly to e-bay and updated it myself, after doing that I never received anything from e-bay saying that they had received my updated information. Well at the time I was selling something on e-bay, so the next time I got the e-mail asking for me to update, I did. Well I checked further and I realized the mistake I had made. So I then canceled the latest credit card and now everything is fine.

If they do this to a million people they will get a few that forget or make a mistake.

Deron.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, not you?

Ok, you may have to wear the newbie beenie even longer now. :)

Troy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.