AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really love the Panny 32lx700, picture and sound are great. In setting it up, I sort of used a composit of all the calibrations I was able to find. Clarity and color are fine, but my only problem now is that I don't think I'm getting good gradations on the blacks. For example, when looking at the lapels of men's dark suits, although I can see the differientation between the outer edge of the lapel and the suit body under it, I think it should be more clearly defined. So, not having a claibrator, not wanting to go into the service menu, and wanting to preserve sharpness/color/tint/black level=light (if possible), how should I make adjustments to backlight/picture/and maybe brightness to get better black/grey gradations? I'm assuming that working with Picture, Backlight and Brightness are the adjustments that I will ahve to work with. eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12882259


Really love the Panny 32lx700, picture and sound are great. In setting it up, I sort of used a composit of all the calibrations I was able to find. Clarity and color are fine, but my only problem now is that I don't think I'm getting good gradations on the blacks. For example, when looking at the lapels of men's dark suits, although I can see the differientation between the outer edge of the lapel and the suit body under it, I think it should be more clearly defined. So, not having a claibrator, not wanting to go into the service menu, and wanting to preserve sharpness/color/tint/black level=light (if possible), how should I make adjustments to backlight/picture/and maybe brightness to get better black/grey gradations? I'm assuming that working with Picture, Backlight and Brightness are the adjustments that I will ahve to work with. eh?

I don't know anything about your specific set, but I would recommend finding a brightness pattern that is very accurate... by accurate I mean that it shows you many shades of gray that are near black.


If you have an HD player you can download the disk in my sig. The first pattern shows black/gray stripes in digital 1 increments. You can toy with that to get a good feel for near black shades.


We found that DVE/AVIA caused us to set the brightness a little bit too dark because the pattern was not fine enough (we would overshoot the correct brightness setting).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I don't have a DVD player so I'm looking to "eyeball" the adjustments. I'd like to know which parameters are the ones to fool with (backlight, picture, brightness???)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I think "eyeballing" is generally a bad idea. I shouldn't be that hard for you to get access to a DVD player somehow (I think there are over 100 million in the world).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by random tek hed /forum/post/12891408


I think "eyeballing" is generally a bad idea. I shouldn't be that hard for you to get access to a DVD player somehow (I think there are over 100 million in the world).

Certainly, eyeballing is no where as good as using a DVD calibrator; but as I'm not getting one at this time, eyeballing will have to do. So, how about being helpful without being so sarcastic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12882842


Thanks, but I don't have a DVD player so I'm looking to "eyeball" the adjustments. I'd like to know which parameters are the ones to fool with (backlight, picture, brightness???)

You will basically just have to guess.


I don't own an LCD so I can't comment on the backlight very much.


What you would typically do is set the brightness so that the correct black level is achieved... then set contrast to avoid color push, eye fatigue, etc. The key to shadow detail is getting black level correct. From my experience, it would be pretty difficult to get anywhere close by viewing broadcast material. What is "black" in one program isn't in the next. A DVD player and calibration DVD is pretty much required to get it close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/12894204


...From my experience, it would be pretty difficult to get anywhere close by viewing broadcast material. What is "black" in one program isn't in the next. A DVD player and calibration DVD is pretty much required to get it close.

I agree. But what I don't understand is: Let's say that you have used a calibrator and have achieved a good black level. Well, when you start viewing TV, with station and signal variabilities, even with a "good" calibration, wouldn't the black details change from station to station? Sort of seems a little hopeless, eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster /forum/post/12920500


Well, when you start viewing TV, with station and signal variabilities, even with a "good" calibration, wouldn't the black details change from station to station? Sort of seems a little hopeless, eh?

Not so much hopeless as a pain in the ass.


I have noticed that HD channels seem to be more uniform in terms of their settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan420 /forum/post/12945064


flycaster, do you satellite tv? If so you can watch test patterns on hdnet


Or I see your TV has an SD slot for viewing pics, put some test patterns on the SD card & view them that way


here is a site with some LCD cal. patterns

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Comcast digital cable. Like the idea about test patterns on SD card. Will try it. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
Also, HDNET broadcasts test patterns at 6:30am every Saturday if you get that channel. You can do bright/contrast from there too and also color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/12988353


Also, HDNET broadcasts test patterns at 6:30am every Saturday if you get that channel. You can do bright/contrast from there too and also color.

Now, that is really cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/12988353


Also, HDNET broadcasts test patterns at 6:30am every Saturday if you get that channel. You can do bright/contrast from there too and also color.

Isn't that what I said in post #9?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top