AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new InFocus LP530 and DVD's and even premium channels such as HBO and Showtime look great. However, regular channels such as CNN, ABC, NBC etc are noisy. I ready through a lot of posts on the forums and found out that.

1. Get DSS Direct TV (which I am considering anyway) will not help the problem.

2. Buying an HTPC with a DTV card will not help much either.. Any other suggestions? Because of space I wanted to just use my LP530 as my only tv..

Thanks in advance

Joseph

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Iscan line doubler may help your Svideo sources. I assume you're using Svideo from your digital cable box? You can find a used Iscan plus v1 for $200. The Pro version allows component inputs and more sources. HTPC with video capture card with Svideo and composite inputs (IO Magic PC PVR sku #285584 from CompUSA for $40 or similar--Cybertainment, ATI TV wonder,etc.) using Dscaler will help too. Search HTPC forum for this method. Cable in general has a lot of noise and is prone to interference. DSS should be better by most opinions. Plus cable does not yet have HDTV available.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
469 Posts
You need to first determine if the problem you are having is inherent in the cable, or if you would benefit from scaling or doubling.If you don't have a meter such as the Sencore SL-754, you should try connecting your digital cable to a normal TV, do you have the snow and grain on those channels? Often, when using Digital cable, the signal must be "right on" or you will have problems such as snow or pixelization. Depending on the number of splits (TV"s) you have, you may also need a 1 gHz return path amplifier. Make sure that all coax is RG-6, all splitters are 1 gHz, and all fittings are properly crimped RG-6 fittings. You're better off ditching it for DSS, though. Although, if you are looking for HD signals, satellite has 3, cable has 0. Believe it or not, off air has the most. Consider an antenna diplexed with your dish.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would not have very high expectations for a quality picture from any standard definition source-even with video processing. There just isn't enough substance to these signals to make them look good. With Directv you can get a relatively noise free, but soft picture.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Joseph,

You said "digital cable picture, HBO & Showtime great, CNN ABC & NBC noisy". I would bet that your problem is with the analog portion of your cable as the premiums are probably digital and the other networks you mentioned are rarely distributed in digital. As a previous poster said, check signal levels, if you have any long cable runs or many outlets you may want to get a house amp.

brian

------------------

Current Set Up:

Pronto 2000

Sharp XV-DW100U LCD

Onkyo 575

Polk RT2000i Mains

Polk CS400i Center

Polk f/x300i Surrounds

RCA DTC 100

Zenith DVD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone used the IScan Plus V2 or Iscan Pro with Digital Cable and/or Dig Satellite and had great success?

I am hearing mixed opinions about the results elsewhere..

Thanks

Joseph

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Joseph-

You ask will a DVDO achieve great success with a digital cable source and the answer is NO. The best you can hope for is to go from unwatchable to watchable.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my experience with digital cable is that it is a lot more cable and a lot less digital. The channels you mentioned are probably all analog which signal quality is p*** poor at best.

We are having the same experience--the upper channels are tolerable, the lower ones basically stink. Just another incentive to skip the TV and stick to watching movies.

Dan Houck

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
With my Toshiba DST3000 HDTV Directv reciever if I output to my projector using the component video out the Tosh will scale the crappy Directv signal to 1080i and it doesn't look too bad. In order to do this and have it look ok I let the Tosh cut a little off the top and the bottom of what would be a 4:3 image and squish it down to a 16:9 aspect image and it actually looks almost half decent. It looks a lot better than showing the Directv full screen.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Don't know if it is related, but the higher numbered channels (68 and above) from my RCN cable TV feed have subtle, but annoying diagonal lines. I think it comes from too many channels squeezed into a limited space. The particular channels that have noise may be only a random thing, but it might be that HBO has a stronger and clearer output.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.