Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for an HDTV expert

I am getting HDTV now with my Dish Network 6000 receiver and 2nd dish aimed at 61.5

If I have enough dishes (3?) and switches to get:

1. 61.5 - 1st dish

2. 110 - 2nd dish

3. 119 - (uses 2nd dish)

4. 148 - 3rd dish

can I get both CBS-HDTV "east and west"?

Jim

------------------

If you're looking at a Sony HDTV why not checkout http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10 for ~7,000 posts on it?

[This message has been edited by Jim Christian (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
can I get both CBS-HDTV "east and west"?
Don't take my word for it, but according to the Dish tech that I spoke to, you can get only get CBS-HD East from 61.5 and CBS-HD West from 148. Assuming they have no problem with it, it sounds like you have what it takes (Except that your #3 should be 119 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

------------------

CCIE #7472, CCDP, CCNP, SCSA, MCSE, A+

Be careful, or I will summon the vast power of certification!

·
Registered
399 Posts
61.5 and 148 share many of the same channel numbers, including the one for CBSHD. If you try to connect them at the same time, the receiver will not know which dish to tune to for which channel. Also, none of the switches understand 4 dishes; they only understand 3.

The only way I can think of that you could use both 61.5 and 148 would be to manually switch the cable prior to the Dish Network switch for that dish. Then, I believe, you would have to do a check switch whenever you changed from one satellite to another.

So, it is not impossible but it is a little inconvenient and not exactly what you described.

Now, from what has been said here in the forums, if you do qualify for CBSHD you can ask Dish to give you both feeds and people have said they have got both. I don't think this is automatic though.

Also, you don't say where you are located but can you even "see" both birds? A lot of people can't.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I have the same issue, I would like access to both 61.5 and 148. Yes, the SW64 or any combination there of made out of SA42&SW21's will still only allow access to three satellites. And it's also true according to Dish tech support that you can't have 61.5 and 148 attached at the same time because of the channel labeling issues.

So my plan is to install a coaxial relay between the 61.5 and 148 dishes. But if a check switch needs to be run each time the switch is made, it's hardly worth the trouble.

Who ever tries this first please post the results.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen posts from people who live in the east getting KCBS on 61.5 and people who live in the west getting WCBS on 148. I don't think Dish will give you both regardless of the number of dishes.

Al Keown

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K:
I'm pretty sure I've seen posts from people who live in the east getting KCBS on 61.5 and people who live in the west getting WCBS on 148. I don't think Dish will give you both regardless of the number of dishes.

Al Keown
I don't think it works that way. If you are qualified for this service you technically get both, it just depends on which satellite you are on. I am in KCBS-LA territory but get WCBS-NY. I explained to Dish my HD sat is 61.5 because I never moved to 148. They said you can't get 61.5 on the west coast. But I do with a little help from a drill and file to get the dish to go down to 14 degrees. They said fine, but you need to move to 148 to get the west coast time slots. This makes me believe you can have either one or both if you can "see" the satellite.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
The word I got from Dish is you can get either the East or West CBS HDfeed but not both. The CSR's might give you both feeds. They seem to be quite confused about this. Instead of trying to hook up 4 satellite locations it might be easier to hook up a second account looking at the second feed. You can get access without buying a basic pkg with a 2nd account for $4.99/mo.access fee & $1.50 for the HD feed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
When I spoke with a Dish csr, they told me that the FCC only allows 2 distant feeds of any of the networks. So if you get CBS SD East and CBS HD East, you cannot get CBS West SD or CBS HD West. I wanted CBS SD & HD East and the CBS SD West. Dish said NO, I had to choose only two.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.