AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I improve the picture quality on a Mits WS55819 RPTV with Comcast/Motorola tuner viewing standard definition tv programs like "Monster Garage"? HDTV looks great but regular TV is horrible. I have to watch it on my old analog RPTV or 27" CRT. When I use the tuner in my PC the picture looks fine but the Comcast/Motorola tuner is so poor even my 13 year old won't watch it.

I have BlueJean component cables to the TV. Should I use a lower resolution connection and try to soften the picture?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would just keep watching it on your 27" until you don't have to watch SD anymore. That's what I do, movies and HD on my 51UWX20B in the theater room, SD television on my 32" Sharp in the living room. Every night, before I go to bed I pray that Dish will make available a 40 or 50 channel HD package with the networks so I can end SD in my home.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I received notice from Comcast that on September 1 all channels will be digital. This is not a guaranteed improvement, however chanels above 100 are currently digital and are definitely better that those that are not.

I also have DTV and almost all channels are exceptionally clear with some approaching HD quality.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21
I received notice from Comcast that on September 1 all channels will be digital. This is not a guaranteed improvement, however chanels above 100 are currently digital and are definitely better that those that are not.

I also have DTV and almost all channels are exceptionally clear with some approaching HD quality.
Can you post the notice? I just paid my bill at the Comcast office and asked that very qiuestion and she said sometime next year, then again, she thought digital was the same as HD.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:

Can you post the notice? I just paid my bill at the Comcast office and asked that very qiuestion and she said sometime next year, then again, she thought digital was the same as HD.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why does my HP Media Center PC tv tuner display a notably better picture than the comcast/moto tuner? I switch between the two using component switching and there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have digital service or analog? If it's analog, the picture may improve if you remove splitters. On my HDTV I had to eliminate all but one splitter. It's still SD but at least it's as good SD as it can be. To test this, temporarily eliminate all splitters so the signal goes straight into your tuner at full strength. If it's no different the I think you're stuck with it. If it's better, either leave the other splitters out or contact your cable company to boost the signal.

Jon

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk_250
Do you have digital service or analog? If it's analog, the picture may improve if you remove splitters. On my HDTV I had to eliminate all but one splitter. It's still SD but at least it's as good SD as it can be. To test this, temporarily eliminate all splitters so the signal goes straight into your tuner at full strength. If it's no different the I think you're stuck with it. If it's better, either leave the other splitters out or contact your cable company to boost the signal.

Jon

You'd have better luck going to the local Radio Shack and buying a distribution amplifier like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=15-2506

Your cable company is unlikely to 'boost the signal' on request.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
On my Samsung HLR5668W, the internal tuners do a much better job than my Comcast Motorola 6412 on SD. SD looks good. The internal tuners have a fine tuning function that allow you to really maximize each SD station reception (adjustments are kept in memory).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible_Tom
You'd have better luck going to the local Radio Shack and buying a distribution amplifier...Your cable company is unlikely to 'boost the signal' on request.
Is there a simple way of telling whether your cable signal needs a boost or not?

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
1) Use a splitter at the wall to send 1 coax to the cable box for digital/HD channels (>100) and the other coax directly to your HDTV for analog SD channels (

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 911
Is there a simple way of telling whether your cable signal needs a boost or not?
Yes, by calling your cable company and asking it to send a service person to check your signal because you think it may not be strong enough for example, if that's the case. Be sure to talk to the installer per my below report.

A year ago when I got broadband, all the cable company had to do was come out and essentially through some switches at the cable box at the street. All the wiring was in place from my cable TV service I had terminated a year earlier. The installer did check out connections going into my house and essentially said the following: "I'm getting a 16 out of a total possible 19 or so signal, so you're 'smoking.' He said some get only a 5.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
lipcrkr,

I received this notice in the mail. I lists the Channel Lineup effective Sept. 1. 3 New channels are being added ( 1 is WB HD).

One section lists 2005 Installation Rate Changes and beisde it in bold print:

COMING SOON!

THE NEW ALL DIGITAL COMCAST

ALL CHANNELS.

ALL DIGITAL.

ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bill Johnson's method is probably the easiest for getting a read on your incoming signal. Amplifying a poor signal won't help.

Remember: splitters are the arch-nemesis of PQ. In theory, your cable TV comes in at a whopping 2 volts. Split to 4 TVs that's 0.5V at the TV. A distribution amp boosts the split signal to 2V for all outputs.

Distribution amps are also available for composite & component video. I haven't seen DVI or HDMI distibution amps, but I imagine that they're out there somewhere.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
lipcrkr,

I received this notice in the mail. I lists the Channel Lineup effective Sept. 1. 3 New channels are being added ( 1 is WB HD).

One section lists 2005 Installation Rate Changes and beisde it in bold print:

COMING SOON!

THE NEW ALL DIGITAL COMCAST

ALL CHANNELS.

ALL DIGITAL.

ALL THE TIME.
I'd guess this is a regional thing.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Digital SD is nothing but a polished turd on any HD TV. If the content is 480i the digital broadcast of the same will not be much better. There is not enough content yet for many to make a $3000 investment. Those who do unknowingly will be very dissappointed in the technology until there is enough content which won't be for a few more years.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Have you tried using the s-video output off the Motorola? Some HD receivers produce better SD output via s-video than their DVI/HDMI or component outputs.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
kingfrog, what are your recommendations? Should I just keep my 19" Magnavox another 10 years or at least enjoy what is available today?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Likely wouldn't help, but a few times I've sent e-mails to programmers when I suspect poor SD is their fault. Yesterday, for example, noticed that The Golf Channel's U.S. Amateur golf match from Pa., which finishes Saturday Sunday on NBC, had terrible picture quality on my 64" CRT HD RPTV. The edge enhancement was horrific, blurring scores and other graphics on screen as well as 'ghosting' most objects (ringing artifacts) and smearing pictures generally. Weekday delivery of live sports over cable-exclusive channels if often poor quality, I've noticed, and often looks much better for golf matches on weekends when the big OTA networks deliver it upconverted at the higher bit rates used for both OTA H/DTV and cable H/DTV channels. -- John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.