AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65" RCA Scenium HDTV, and it has the build in DirecTV receiver/equipment. The only thing missing is the dish, I believe. I found a good promotional on mypoints.com that if you sign up for DirecTV w/ 1 year commitment, it's free install and free equipment. I called them up, but when they heard I have an HDTV, they said that the free equipment is not for HDTV service. They said I need to get the 'elliptical' RCA dish from Radio Shack or some other store first. The only elliptical dish I've seen is the DS4440RE $150. Can someone tell me the most cost effective way to get HDTV DirecTV service? Since just purchasing the tv, I'm now broke and looking for quicker way to get the DirecTV up and running w/ out having to wait till next paycheck. TIA!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
yes all you need is an elliptical dish.

My recomendation is to go for the Blockbuster deal for $10. I'm not sure if this is still going on. Just be sure that you get the para todos equipment. Otherwise get a used dish or go to www.**************.com for $132.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, check Walmart. I got the elliptical dish along with a cheapie Hughes receiver for $79 a while back. You may want to save the card or use the receiver for another room.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I signed up for the Blockbuster deal recently, but it is now $50. However, they throw in 52 free DVD rentals. You can check out there website for the deal at:

http://promo.blockbuster.com/default...age=index.html

To get the elliptical dish you need to sign up for the DIRECTV PARA TODOS package at Blockbuster. You need the elliptical dish to get the Spanish programming. However, when you call Direct TV to activate your account, you don't have to order the Para Todos programming. So there is no extra cost for getting the elliptical dish and you will be able to get HDTV without any problems.

The website site says you get free Showtime for 6 months, but when I called Direct TV, they were still offering the NFL Ticket and the Ultimate package for $44 a month for 4 months. It is great, since you get just about every channel offered.

If you don't know about it, go to Circuit City and pick up there Direct TV receiver with TiVo for $99 too. They will install it for free, so you can use it for a second room or to record programming. It is a great deal!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JorgeGVB
I signed up for the Blockbuster deal recently, but it is now $50. However, they throw in 52 free DVD rentals.
The original BB $10 deal also included the 52 free DVD rentals. It's still an awesome value at $50.

Rich

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys! Since I noticed you guys said that the elliptical dish is needed for Spanish channel, a light bulb went off. I called the mypoints.com DirecTV deal phone # again, and told them I want Spanish channel w/ the free install and free equipment. They said, okay, we'll give you the elliptical dish for FREE!! Woohoooo!!! And than I told them I want HDTV channels, they said, what a coincidence.. u need an elliptical dish for that, but since you want the Spanish channels, u're all set for it anyhow! WHOOT WHOOT! U guys are awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.