AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older HD TV does not have an ARC HDMI. It does have a optical digital out. If I use the optical, I just get PCM audio and my Dolby receiver does not detect Dolby but PCM. So I can't get Dolby even when I know the TV is receiving Dolby audio from the HDMI.

Any suggestions? I think all digital receivers that have support HDMI need the ARC from the TV. I don't have a receiver with HDMI but only optical. I can upgrade the receiver but I don't think that will give me Dolby sound without upgrading my TV to something that has ARC.

·
Registered
22,462 Posts
What is connected to the TV using HDMI from which you would desire "Dolby"?
Can that be connected to the AVR by optical for Dolby audio?

Also.... check the audio output settings in the TV. Sometimes they default to "PCM Only".
It needs to be set to Dolby Digital, bitstream or "both".

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
What’s your source to tv? Directv/cable/antenna?or streamer? Assuming it’s not a smart tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TV is connected to a Roku via HDMI. Sometimes I connect the TV to the DVD player. The audio output of the TV is the optical to my receiver. The problem is that the TV only sends PCM data and no way to change the setting to send the Dolby signal. Unfortunately, the TV was advertised to support Dolby but they do no output it via the optical.

I'm thinking if I get a HDMI splitter, maybe I can send one to TV and other to an HDMI receiver. I'm not sure how bad the sync issues will be.

Yes, I know I could use an upgrade but I don't want to needlessly waste a decent TV so I can get better (Dolby) audio.

·
Registered
22,462 Posts
Unfortunately, the TV was advertised to support Dolby but they do no output it via the optical.
Yes. Older TV's did support Dolby Digital, but only when using the TV's internal ATSC receiver (Antenna/OTA).
Unfortunately, most did not allow "passthrough" of DD/DTS from externally HDMI connected sources.

Again.... try connecting the "optical out" from the Roku and/or DVD player directly to the receiver for Dolby audio. Leave the HDMI to the TV for video (and listening without the receiver).
Let us know how that works out for you.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm a little confused? Why are you using your TV for Dolby digital, when you have a receiver, which I presume, can handle Dolby digital? The TV, in these sorts of cases, should be just a monitor, and nothing else. Your AV receiver and speakers, should handle all of the audio processing and sound reproduction.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
He had mentioned his reciever has no hdmi ..

Reactions: Ratman

·
Registered
22,462 Posts
But try the option I suggested. It may be sufficient until an "upgrade" is necessary and affordable. ;)

Reactions: sivadselim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. Older TV's did support Dolby Digital, but only when using the TV's internal ATSC receiver (Antenna/OTA).
Unfortunately, most did not allow "passthrough" of DD/DTS from externally HDMI connected sources.

Again.... try connecting the "optical out" from the Roku and/or DVD player directly to the receiver for Dolby audio. Leave the HDMI to the TV for video (and listening without the receiver).
Let us know how that works out for you.
The Roku does not have optical out. When I had a cable box, the optical out worked and gave Dolby. My Dvd player has optical out but gives pcm (they were probably too cheap to pay another fee to Dolby is my guess).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He had mentioned his reciever has no hdmi ..

You are correct, but I don't mind upgrading my receiver. But I found that without having ARC on my TV most receivers will tell you to use the optical output of TV - so that brings me back where I started. So my question are there any receivers that will take the HDMI in from the Roku and out to the TV? Or can I get a splitter and go from Roku to splitter and send both HDMI out to TV and receiver?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
You are correct, but I don't mind upgrading my receiver. But I found that without having ARC on my TV most receivers will tell you to use the optical output of TV - so that brings me back where I started. So my question are there any receivers that will take the HDMI in from the Roku and out to the TV? Or can I get a splitter and go from Roku to splitter and send both HDMI out to TV and receiver?
Connect sources to the new AVR, its better than connecting to the TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I’ve never used arc.. too finicky anyways.. have allways connected everything to my reciever and one out to display.. no issues

·
Registered
22,462 Posts
So my question are there any receivers that will take the HDMI in from the Roku and out to the TV?
Yes. And it doesn't require ARC if you go that route.

My Dvd player has optical out but gives pcm (they were probably too cheap to pay another fee to Dolby is my guess).
Highly unlikely. That could be a audio setup option in the DVD player (or the receiver). DD/DTS should work no matter the age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. And it doesn't require ARC if you go that route.

Highly unlikely. That could be a audio setup option in the DVD player (or the receiver). DD/DTS should work no matter the age.
I have found all receivers that I looked at require HDMI ARC to TV or must use optical out on TVs without ARC. If you know of a receiver that receives the Dolby audio from HDMI input of source, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Not sure but I have a tv and a reciever in another room. Neither has arc. Have directv box into reciever aswell as a amazon fire stick to reciever via hdmi. One hdmi out from reciever to tv. All works as it’s suppose to.. granted tv is a plasma panel no speakers but it doesn’t make a difference..

·
Registered
22,462 Posts
If you know of a receiver that receives the Dolby audio from HDMI input of source, let me know. Thanks.
Probably 99.9% of them.
All HDMI sources connect to AVR for DD/DTS audio processing.
HDMI "out" from the receiver to the HDMI input on the TV will pass the video signal to the TV (when using the selected source that's connected to the receiver).
No ARC necessary at either end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts