AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can get replacement discs for discs that have become scratched or somehow unplayable?

I'm particularly intested in getting replacements for our Disney discs that the kids have rendered useless.

TIA,

Ken

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
That would be the same answer as "Anyone know if you can get replacement tires for my car my originals are wearing out". You go buy new ones. Hope you do not think it is someone else responsibility for your mishandling of your DVDs.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Both of you have forgotten the device name that will remove the scratches to have DVD or CD play like it was new. It is called the SkipDoctor it uses a buffing wheel to put a radial design on your disc removing all but deep scratches. Radial design can be buffed to new looking or played the way it comes out. Radial design is not read by the laser, hence you have a like new playable disc!

It's been used on CD and DVD R/W it will erase all the data, but it will remove all the scratches that made it unplayable. The MSRP is $34.98 for the crank model and $54.98 for the motorized version and $12 for 2 replacement dics. One disc is good for 50 discs of cleaning. It's being sold all over the web. Do a AVS search on 'How many here own a SkipDoctor manual or motorized' that is the name of the thread I put on read other members responses then make your own decision.

You have a choice to keep complaining or doing something about it. Best of Luck :)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question was more along the lines of warranty on the disc's from the manufacturer.

Several years ago manufacturers of laser discs would replace rotted discs one for one. I don't know if they still do but i know they did.

I found that Disney does offer a 30 day money back but I couldn't find the documentation on the physical product itself. I'm sure it must exist if just to say there is no warranty.

I found a product called Quick Shield ND that is advertised as a protective disc sealant against scratches. I'm going to get some and try it out. It says its used in the DVD rental market.

Ken

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand
My question was more along the lines of warranty on the disc's from the manufacturer.

Several years ago manufacturers of laser discs would replace rotted discs one for one. I don't know if they still do but i know they did....

Ken
Warranties cover manufacture defects, not consumer abuse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
This is one of my pet complaints. If the industry won't have some kind of cheapo replacement policy, they should let one back it up. After all, by purchasing it, I have a license to view it.

Of course I'm not going to hold my breath.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by William

Warranties cover manufacture defects, not consumer abuse. :rolleyes:
Can you point me to your source for this info? I haven't been able to find any statement from a disc manufacturer.

If you do a search on google you'll find evidence of dual layer disc's internally deteriorating to the point that they don't play.

Anyway, if you or anyone else have the actual written warranty from a DVD manufacturer I would appreciate you sharing it.

TIA,

Ken

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
We have SkipDoctor and Quicksand but what about old faithful Elmers sealent. If worse comes to worse using all that Vermont Pure or Poland Springs water whenever I use the SkipDoctor, I will rely on a bath tub clear sealant to get some kind of rot stop drops.

Inject with not used anymore 19 microns thick syringes I still have, to inject the rot stop to stop the rot from rotting my expensive discs. How about plastic weld sold wherever car procducts are sold along with two tubes into a clear epoxy to rebond the plastic from within. Oh how interesting our future subjects will be. I better brush up on unrotting techniques and invent the RotDoctor for all the people that still believe in Santa Claus. lol :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.