AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this...but:



If one were to get into this field what advice do you give them? Is there a technical school to attend? Is it all learned from experience? Prior knowledge?


any information to feed my curiosity is very much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
What do you want to be/do?

Installer:


You can attend just about any technical school to learn the basics of dealing with wire/electronics. Some actually have an "A/V" course. There are online courses for specific products now and you can usually find local classes at factories or distributors for the products. Then you learn the rest hands on.

Project Manager:


Usually best to start out as an installer imo so that you know what your guys are supposed to be doing. This position is usually given to the senior technicians. I dont know what classes you would take for this. Assuming you understand the work you are overseeing you just need to be organized and able to deal with people involved in the project like the general contractor, the cabinet guys the electricians etc.

System Engineer:


You should to know Auto Cad, Visio and products like D-Tools. You need to have a deep understanding of the products you are using. This is a 24/7/365 continuous every day thing. New products are released every day and you need to know everything about them. Typically you just need to KNOW everything about your control system of choice. CE products are all similar enough that you just need to make sure they have the right I/O's.

Programmer:


IMO a good programmer is a good system engineer and installer. If you can design and install the system you can program it with your eyes closed. Programming in our industry is pretty much all proprietary. You get software from the manufacturers and learn to use it.

Sales:


There is no such thing as school for learning how to sell IMO. You are either a salesman or you are not. I have seen terrible ones and great ones and none of them attended a class to learn to do it. Can you sell?

Owner:


Business school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Take a look at the education programs offered by CEDIA:

http://www.cedia.net


CEDIA is the trade organization for the custom A/V installation business. They have a huge curriculum of courses covering a lot of the areas 39 mentions. Their annual trade show is also THE place for getting a full brain dump of the industry (and quite the toy show, too)...


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys will look into it!


I love the hobby so much I want to learn more about it and perhaps do it for extra $ or even maybe make a career one day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts
certifiable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts
Really, it depends on the area and company.


Almost all of the high-end installers are, few of the 1-2 person companies are affiliated with CEDIA. Membership is expensive, and installation costs will increase.


Some of the distributors offer training.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19645860


Really, it depends on the area and company.


Almost all of the high-end installers are, few of the 1-2 person companies are affiliated with CEDIA. Membership is expensive, and installation costs will increase.


Some of the distributors offer training.

Thanks for input.


I see you need to put in 1 year experience with a certified employer before you can get certified so that ends there for me (for now). They do offer alot of e-learning courses that look interesting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts
You could hang out a shingle, and THEN sign up with local distributors for training (ADI, AVAD, etc).


I've read a lot of books, and manuals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19646026


You could hang out a shingle, and THEN sign up with local distributors for training (ADI, AVAD, etc).


I've read a lot of books, and manuals.

Any books/manuals you recommend or enjoyed more than others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
How much do Cedia classes cost and do you need to have a company sponsoring you? I am a home owner who enjoys doing this stuff. I really suck at the hardware installation and wire/cable side of it. I have been teaching myself the programming side and have a pretty good understanding of a lot of the hardware. My media cabinet is a mess of cables that would make some of the CEPro neato before pictures look beautiful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn /forum/post/19648788


How much do Cedia classes cost and do you need to have a company sponsoring you? I am a home owner who enjoys doing this stuff. I really suck at the hardware installation and wire/cable side of it. I have been teaching myself the programming side and have a pretty good understanding of a lot of the hardware. My media cabinet is a mess of cables that would make some of the CEPro neato before pictures look beautiful.

Depends on the class but they can range from $100-600 for "non-members", for courses in person. They offer e-learning courses for $99 each:

http://www.cedia.net/education/elearning-ovr.php


There are also videos from Bedrock Learning and The Training Depot on basic retrofit wiring / installation / etc. that may be a better fit if you're just wanting to have the skills for yourself (as a hobby...).



Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19649935


Depends on the class but they can range from $100-600 for "non-members", for courses in person. They offer e-learning courses for $99 each:

http://www.cedia.net/education/elearning-ovr.php


There are also videos from Bedrock Learning and The Training Depot on basic retrofit wiring / installation / etc. that may be a better fit if you're just wanting to have the skills for yourself (as a hobby...).



Jeff

I'm looking at this course which you mentioned

http://www.bedrocklearning.com/cours...red_wiring.htm


It shows a purchase of the course guide and the online course. It doesn't appear to me that the course guide is a video but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any need to purchase the full course? I don't care about certification and am just looking to as you say "have the skills". Am I looking in the right spot? Would you recommend this course over the Cedia e-learning course?


Also I couldn't find anything with respect to the Training Depot that deals with A/V.


Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn
I'm looking at this course which you mentioned

http://www.bedrocklearning.com/cours...red_wiring.htm


It shows a purchase of the course guide and the online course. It doesn't appear to me that the course guide is a video but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any need to purchase the full course? I don't care about certification and am just looking to as you say "have the skills". Am I looking in the right spot? Would you recommend this course over the Cedia e-learning course?


Also I couldn't find anything with respect to the Training Depot that deals with A/V.


Thank you.
Ah, sorry, "The Training Depot" is like the name of the video series, not the website... I'm not finding them either now - I recall now it wasn't easy to find them.


The Bedrock course guide is the classroom materials / handouts. These tend to be very detailed and you may get what you need just from that. The video is a e-course, too (not a DVD), and would certainly be the way to learn any of the wire pulling / retrofit techniques, as you really need to see it done to 'get it'...


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts
Please don't quote this post, and please don't mention specifics.


'Industry', 'throwaway' magazines and newsletters are a decent resource.


I don't think most of them would mind too much - it's an increase in their circulation.


I suggest ones related to security, IT, AV, and home electronics.


Digital subscriptions don't kill trees. Don't use a primary email account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,101 Posts
Forums I frequent daily

cocoontech.com

multiple AVS subforums

remotecentral.com CI Lounge


less frequently

CCTVforum.com

Worthington/ASIHome forum

CEPro.com
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top