AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's another thread on how how Netflix determines your title availability , but I thought I'd start a separate thread to discuss strategies for getting new releases.

eBusinessStrategy did a business case on NetFlix.
http://www.ebstrategy.com/ResearchIn...TM3-100102.htm

I always imagined that NetFlix has warehouses full of movies. When I send my movie back, they file it away. Then, someone else picks my new movie out of the warehouse and sends it to me.

That's now how it works at all. Touching the movies twice is just too inefficient. Instead, when they receive my movie, they check it in, figure out who wants that movie, and they send it right back out. Most movies never go to the warehouse.

According to the other thread, heavy renters have worse availability for movies that are in demand. In my experience, that only seems true for movies that are being returned by other customers. On the day a movie is released, we all seem to have the same likelyhood of receiving the movie (or they have enough to meet the first day demand).

I keep track of release dates of new movies and plan to return other NetFlix movies so they receive them the day before or the day the new movie is released. This has worked great for me. I'm 3 for 3 using this technique.

Has anyone else experienced this?

--Burke

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
How long have you been with NetFlix? And how many rentals do you get in a week? It looks like the penalize their bigger renters with bad availability on desireable titles even if they pay extra for the priviledge.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been with NetFlix since May, 2000. Last time I worked it out, I was averaging about 8 movies per month for a cost around $2.75 per movie. Some movies I rent more, some less.

Since they added a distribution center near to me, my turn-around time has been incredible. I recieved a movie today to replace a movie I send back two days ago. 48 hour turn-around is unbelievable.

At this rate, I could watch 30 movies in 30 days for $20. It would be interesting to send a movie back every day (even if I don't have time to watch it) just to see what happens to my average availability next billing cycle.

--Burke

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Remove all but one or two titles from your queue and they have no chioce but to send it, or make you wait.
Why would they care about that? You'd still pay $20 per month while waiting.

·
Registered
548 Posts
When I want a new release, I mail a movie back on Saturday, It gets to them on Monday. They assign it to me and apparently ship it out on Monday because I always seem to get new releases on Tuesday (at my house, in my mailbox), the day of release, whenever I follow this scheme.

I churn through netflix movies quickly so this theory going around that this would put me at the bottom of their priority queue seems to be irrelevant as far as priority on new releases goes. :cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
The "send a movie back so it arrives the day before a new release" technique has worked well for me, too. They will mail the new release the day before the release date, presumably on the theory that you won't receive it until the actual release date, or the same day that you could get it at BB.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Unfortunately I think this scheme has just started to fail. Monday , for the first time, they only gave me 1 out of 2 new releases that I requested.

Since I have averaged about 33 movies a month on the 8 plan, this is the only way I can get new movies. Two movies I requested just after release date are still in the queue after past six months and three months and have just entered short wait status.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've had success with the return a movie so it arrives late Saturday or on Monday to NetFlix, 80% of the time my TUesday shipment will be something being released that day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.