AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I tried search for this but couldn't find what I was looking for (it may be here, but I can't find it). I want to rip my CD collection to HD and use a HTPC-generated bitstream to feed a high-end DAC in an audiophile system. To maximize quality, I want to be sure I'm feeding the DAC the original uncompressed bitstream with as low jitter as possible. I bought an RME Digi96 sound card to provide a good AES/EBU connection, but I want to make sure I the correct software setup.

How can I make sure my player is not mucking around with the signal (e.g, by performing DSP or a volume control function)? [Note: I'm thinking of using J-River Media Center, but I can use something else if it is better in this regard].

How can I make sure Windows and anything else is also passing the signal directly?

Should I use a particular ripping software (I hear EAC is good)?

Finally, is there a good lossless compression standard I can use without introducing jitter? If so, how much will this strain my processor (since I'm also trying to prevent the inside from getting too hot and needing to run the fan a lot.)

Thanks a lot. -Tom

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one other question about ripping: I haven't started with my ~600 CD collection yet but, ideally, I'd like to end up with properly tagged lossless files and associated cover art for my ~600 CDs... therefore I would be willing to pay a premium for a soltuion that not only rips well, but makes that process easier. Thanks. -Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.