AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way? If so, I can't seem to find it.

At the moment I have to either

1. Run QT6

2. Select and Open the .mov file

3. Hit F, and

4. Hit

OR

1. Double click on the .mov file

2. Hit F, and

3. Hit

I'm going to be using Mainlobby to showcase a small collection of movie trailers but what I'd like to have happen is when I select a trailer, QT6 will launch, load the correct trailer, go into fullscreen mode automatically and play the trailer without requiring any further intervention. Also, at the end of the trailer, I'd like QT6 to close and restore control back to MainLobby (but that's yet another problem I'll have to solve!)

Does someone know how to do this? Searching through the configuration options within the QT6 player doesn't seem to reveal anything at all about this so I'm guessing that someone must have already figured out a way to do this.

Does it simply need a command line parameter? A girder script? I'm keen to hear any suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Ross

·
Registered
20 Posts
I gave up on using Quicktime to feature my movie trailers. I now use Quicktime Pro to rip the trailer to an AVI. I then convert the huge AVI file to Divx using Gordian Knot.

The quality is just as good as Quicktime and they are the same size, sometimes smaller. The whole process takes less than 3 minutes per trailer. Anyway, it gives you a file format that can be used in any media player.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I hit Ctrl-F in QT6, the Full Screen box pops open. Now from there I can select via the drop down menu: Normal, Double, Half, Full Screen and Current. Selecting Full Screen plays the file back in Full Screen.

Scot

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like QT6 isn't particularly configurable in this regard.

I've heard that others are also converting QT files to other formats for this same reason. I'm happy to do this if I have to, but I'd like to make sure there's no simpler alternative. I've been meaning to do this for some time, but the latest Matrix Reloaded trailer has spurred me to take action!

Anyone out there with any ideas?

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can use Quicktime's xml capabilities to launch directly to full screen:

Using Notepad or Wordpad, create a text-only file containing the following 3-line xml script:

include all the

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Can you use Quicktime 6 Pro to convert the latest Matrix trailer? I can't seem to get it to work. It won't give me an option of what to encode it to. I assume the trailer is locked?

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SKoprowski
Can you use Quicktime 6 Pro to convert the latest Matrix trailer? I can't seem to get it to work. It won't give me an option of what to encode it to. I assume the trailer is locked?

Scott

Not locked for me. I ripped it to AVI in Quicktime Pro's menu and encoded it to Divx 5 on the day it was released. I used the Ultra version as source material.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
can you explain how you did that? Maybe I'm missing something. I chose export, but it doesn't give me any options under file type and the export options are grayed out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SKoprowski
can you explain how you did that? Maybe I'm missing something. I chose export, but it doesn't give me any options under file type and the export options are grayed out.
Nothing special. I clicked File, then Export. I'm able to choose any option I want in the export menu. (Movie to AVI, Movie to Mpeg-4, etc)

What version of the trailer do you have? I'm using trailer_final_1000_dl.mov. It's just a hair under 100 meg.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hmmn, I just encoded it to a 64MB file with similar settings and there aren't any noticable differences, so I guess 128MB is overkill...

Anyway, I noticed that using ffdshow as an xvid decoder produces a noticably worse quality than using my dedicated xvid codec as the decoder. The colors are more washed out, has less contrast, looks more blocky and even has some pixel corruption(I get purple pixels popping out during high-motion scenes).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goi
What settings are you using? I just encoded it to a 128MB 2-pass xvid file with 128Kbps abr mp3.
I use export in Quicktime Pro to create an AVI file without sound. For the Matrix trailer, the file was around 7 gig. Video Settings:

Compression: None

Depth: Millions of Colors+

Quality: Best

Secondly I export the audio file seperately (Sound to Wave) on the highest quality.

Next I go into Gordian Knot to encode it to Divx 5. The audio is turned into 128 Kbps MP3. I go 2 passes on the video and use some video enhancers that Divx pro offers.

Anyway, the end result is a file that is 30 meg large with the same quality as what I started with.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well I did it differently. I exported to an uncompressed AVI file with uncompressed PCM audio. Then I ripped the audio part with Vdub and encoded it to 128Kbps abr with besweet, and encoded the video to 2-pass xvid to 2 sizes - 128MB and 64MB. Turns out there weren't a lot of difference between the 2. Next I used Nandub to mux the audio/video together to a final file.

Quality is not bad, but I find that I have to adjust ffdshow's overlay controls by quite a bit(contrast/brightness) to get the quality up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I feel like a goofball. I did a minimal Quicktime install and it didn't load the encoding filters/ I reinstalled and everthing is fine now.

Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow!

This thread sure got busy since I last looked at it!

I'm still using Quicktime 6 Pro, and although that little 3 line xml script works OK, I've still got a small problem with it.

Without using the script, I would normally hit f which brings up the fullscreen menu. At that stage I would normally just hit enter, and away we go. However, there are other options within that fullscreen menu. You have the oportunity to just go with "normal" (the default) but you could also choose double size, half size, or fullscreen. It seems that when I use the script it is automatically choosing the "fullscreen" option. Normal is what I want because I'm already at full resolution for my projector, but it seems that by using the script, the fullscreen option is chosen which seems to be a larger resolution.

Consequently, the image is off-center and I lose about 20% of the left-hand side of the image.

The way I see it, I've got 2 options :

1) See if I can get one of the kind folk here who is able to, to adjust that script to automatically choose the "normal" option, or....

2) Ditch QT6 and see if I can use one of the other methods touched on earlier in this thread.

If it's to be option 1, there's nothing I can do at the moment except wait and hope someone is able to help.

If it's option 2, then I have more to ask!

I'm running a HTPC to a CRT Projector and use a 1.3Celeron CPU, 512Megs memory and a Radeon 9000Pro video card.

With the Matrix Reloaded trailer, I found that the "ultra" size trailer choked my poor Celeron and there were a lot of skipped frames. I ended up having to go for the "large" size (I think approx 300x640 or something) and that worked just fine.

Does encoding to any of the other formats result in a trailer format that's easier on the CPU while still maintaining best image/sound quality? I'd REALLY like to try using that ultra trailer, but unless I can make it easier on the CPU I can't use it.

I have a 2nd PC (not my HTPC) with a faster CPU that I can use to do the image/sound manipulation and then I can burn the resulting completed file onto a CD and throw it onto my HTPC.

Can anyone tell me what options I have, what tools I need, and a procedure?

It often amazes me how deep the knowledge of such things exists in this community and also of how willing these experts are to share their knowledge. I really need some of that knowledge now!

Please help.

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's some info on the xml tags QT supports QT XML

Looks as if replacing fullscreen="full" with fullscreen="normal" will solve your problem.

You'll also find info on a quitwhendone parameter...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.