AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just bought a HDTV television (Panasonic CT-30WX15) and hooked it up with component cables to my progressive scan dvd player. I set up the dvd player to display things in 16:9 and progressive scan output. The question I have is that my understanding was that with progressive scan you can get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen but the only way to do that is with the Zoom aspect ratio of the tv. From reading the manual, Full mode is made for anamorphic video but when I play a dvd in that mode I still see the black bars on the top and bottom. Is the only way to get rid of it through the zoom feature? I compared the zoom to the full and it looks like the picture doesn't lose or cut anything off on the tops or sides to make it fit the screen so I assume that's the only way to watch it without the bars? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The only PROPER way to not have black bars on your HDTV is to only play movies that have an aspect ratio in the range of 1.77:1-185:1. Movies wider than that, for example 2.35:1 which is a popular ratio, SHOULD have black bars, even on your widescreen tv.

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
The black bars have nothing to do with progressive scan. They have to do with Original Aspect Ratio, which is a completely separate issue.

Back when you had a standard 4:3 TV, didn't you ever notice that some movies (like Gladiator) had larger letterbox bars than other movies (like Jurassic Park)? Didn't it occur to you that there might be a reason for that? Did you really think that when you bought a widescreen TV suddenly everything would be the same shape?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The black bars have nothing to do with progressive scan. They have to do with Original Aspect Ratio, which is a completely separate issue.

Back when you had a standard 4:3 TV, didn't you ever notice that some movies (like Gladiator) had larger letterbox bars than other movies (like Jurassic Park)? Didn't it occur to you that there might be a reason for that? Did you really think that when you bought a widescreen TV suddenly everything would be the same shape?
Wow, you really do live up to your rank. :D

(Sorry Don for crapping on your thread, I couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Sorry, it just amazes me how unobservant people are. We are 8 years into the DVD age and there is still widespread misunderstanding of basic concepts like aspect ratio.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Sorry, it just amazes me how unobservant people are. We are 8 years into the DVD age and there is still widespread misunderstanding of basic concepts like aspect ratio.
I don't blame Josh for showing a little frustration. I also realize that someone brand new to the hobby may ask some interesting questions. But both are to be expected when a newb ventures into a hobbyist site and asks a "newbie level" question.

Ron

PS: another vote for a beginners forum

·
23,031 Posts
re: Beginner's forum. Good idea. At times I've thought that if some folks had the time we could either make FAQs and/or sticky threads with links to various instructional posts, but then I realize in the end nobody (or very few) people who should read them would read them. The usual MO is just to come in and ask a question with very little searching or reading. And now that I think of it, a Beginners forum may suffer the same fate. Posters wouldn't notice it was there and post like they do now. So, I guess we're stuck with things the way they are now. However, it may be worth a try.

larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.