AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so before I finally walk into the store to buy my projector, are there any tips and tricks to maximize the life of the bulb. It'll be 100% for dvds.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
One guy recently chimed in that his bulb finally died after over 7500 hours (which is unheard of). He would use his projector for 18 hours a day. Seems the more you use the bulb for each time you turn on the projector, the longer it lasts. The more you use the bulb, the less you will turn it on (and strike the bulb).

You never really know when the bulb will go. It may go at 100 hours (this is where the warranty would come in if its a 3 month warranty), 500 hours, 2000, or 7000. It's just a risk you have to take with dlp/lcd projectors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That IS unheard of!!

Any major things that one shouldn't do?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Do not turn on your projector soon after you've turned it off (unless it has had adaquete cooling and is not hot). Striking your lamp while it is still hot will kill your bulb life and can even cause it to blow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
One guy recently chimed in that his bulb finally died after over 7500 hours (which is unheard of). He would use his projector for 18 hours a day. Seems the more you use the bulb for each time you turn on the projector, the longer it lasts. The more you use the bulb, the less you will turn it on (and strike the bulb).
The problem with that is just because the bulb lasts longer doesn't necessarily mean you get more viewing out of it.

If you really did leave the projector on 18 hours a day, every day, then 7500 hours would still only work out to about 420 days. If you're making use of the projector most of the time its on, then that's great. But if you're only really using the projector 3-4 hours out of those 18, then 420 days is the equivalent of a lamp life of 1260-1680 hours (which is still a decent lamp life, but it's hardly spectacular).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying leaving the projector on that much is the wrong thing to do. I've just seen that method mentioned several times, and I don't remember seeing anyone pointing out the potential pitfalls.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Run in lo-lamp if possible.

Clean the filter and entire projector as specified in manual, or even more often. Dust will clog up a projector, make it run hotter. This affects all the electronics in the pj, not just the lamp.

Lamps hate hate hate being cycled a lot. Turn-on-turn-off-turn-on-turn-off is a quick way to fry lamps and vacuum tubes. I'd rather run for eight straight hours than power off only to power on a couple of hours later. CAVEAT: Don't exceed the max uninterrupted runtime, if stated in the manual. For my AE700 that's 10 hrs. It's in the book. ;) So on weekends it is *the* only time I'll run for 2 - 5 hours, shutdown for a few hours, then on again for another 4-6 hrs. On weekdays it only gets turned on once a day. I suspect Panny put that caveat in for the polarizers, not the lamp.

That's about all I can think of..

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Bumping the projector after shut off should be avoided. Most projector companies state 6hrs as max run time. I'll wait at least an hour before re striking the bulb.

·
Registered
597 Posts
What we need is someone to compose a list of all suggested ways to max bulb life and post it as a sticky. If you read through a hundred threads or so you'll get them.

I'd do it but am off work this week and lazy as heck. Maybe next week. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's Simple. If you want a lot more hours use a bigger fan to cool the unit. All of these projectors use wimpy little fans to keep the noise down , sacrificing the life of the bulb and the projector.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have often thought the outside case near the bulb of MT-700 gets quite warm to the touch. This newbie doesn't know if is normal. Went into the service menu and am now taking thermal test readings. As some of you may know there are serious bulb issues going on with the BenQ/Toshiba twins.

Does anyone know what the typical thermal test readings should be? Would changing PJ to high altitude setting, thus increasing fan speed, increase bulb life? I will record thermal readings under both fan speeds (normal and high altitude) and report. Can anyone tell me how to (if possible) change fan speed from service menu?

Septura, your post makes sense. Do you have a DIY fan install guide/link? Will it increase db's?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
1. 30 minute cool down time minimum before starting back up.

2. If I'm done with the projector but I might use it in the next 1-2 hours. I'll just leave it on.

3. I use an external fan to keep temperature down around the unit. My unit if it's running extra hot would go into high fan mode before. Never happens now with the external fan.

4. I always wondered if your bass system shook the projector that it would reduce lamp life. I assumed it did, I remedied that with a better mounting/dampening unit.

I had two bulbs under 400 hours go on me. I put all the above into place now I'm at 1500 hours. Cleaned the unit yesterday for the first time in two months, checked the bulb, the stem was still true and all is looking good. The Z2 filter had zero dust in it. Blew out the unit with compressed air and let it sit for an hour before firing up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the idea of an external fan to keep the ambient temperature down. I'll have to dig around for a quiet fan that I can mount up there. My rear-vent PJ is closer to the wall than the 18" specified in the manual and occaisionally kicks into high fan mode after a couple hours.

Anyone have a clever way to automatically switch it on when the PJ is running?

-Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a small ac external fan and my dlp bulb is still going strong after 3 years and 5000 hours. It is still bright enough to watch with a desk lamp on. I've looked at the

bulbs glass and it appears as good as new.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have to chime in and mention that while I think some of the suggestions could be good in theory, they're really purely anecdotal. Until you've had repeated success, not just one or two bulbs lasting above average, then it becomes a confirmed solution. I wonder what kind of expert we'd have to ask to confirm or deny some of this stuff such as:

1. Powering on while the bulb is still warm is bad.

2. Running the bulb cooler than factory default is good.

3. Hard power down after cooling is better than leaving it in standby.

I don't even think the PJ manufactures put much R&D time into bulb longevity. They probably just make sure the enclosure temps remain within bulb OEM specs.

Here's annecdotal since we're throwing things out there: My Z1 bulb lasted me to 850hrs when I sold the unit and I only cleaned the filter once. I cycled it on average about twice a day and have short-cycled it a couple times. This is mounted in a family room where I have a wood burning fireplace. I ran on low lamp mode and left the fan speed at factory default. I think it only went into high a couple times since I had it.

Bobby

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't judge your cooling needs based on internal fan low/high speed , those fans are little toys. It's just commonsense that projector cases arn't big enough to hold a large fan and they want those cases to be as small as possible. The projector companies only care about getting through the warrenty period. 90 days for the bulb shows how much faith they have in their design. Projector cases are getting smaller and suprise suprise the warrenties are being lowered from 3years to 1 year.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I positioned my mini split ac along the back wall of the hometheater were it can blow on my projector. I hope it extends my bulb life.

·
Registered
676 Posts
This probably doesnt apply to new lamps that are much brighter.

My old sharpvision 96 Vintage is still in functional condition with the original Lamp I ran it for many hours at a time and always left it in standby mode when not in use which was recomended by sharp to keep moisture out of it.

My friend who also has a sharpvision one year older also is on the original lamp

Cant tell you how many actual hours as they didnt have timers on them back then both use Metel halyde lamps

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I don't even think the PJ manufactures put much R&D time into bulb longevity. They probably just make sure the enclosure temps remain within bulb OEM specs.
I'll be willing to bet they do test things. I don't service PJ's but I do service DLP RPTV's and I know for a fact they test bulb life in those sets. I know in our service schools we discuss bulb life and the engineers tell us how to maximize it, and by the same token we know how to insure you won't make it either. :rolleyes:

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,010 Posts
Greetings,

I am currently on my second LCD front projector. My first was a Sony HS10 that had 1600 hours of use when I sold it. At 800 hours on the first lamp I replaced it and kept it as a spare after I purchased a new lamp. When I sold the unit the lamp had a little over 800 hours on it.

My current unit is a Sony HS51. I got it in April and the lamp has around 460 hours on it. I average around 100 hours a month. The lamp is usually struck twice a day. Once in the morning ( I am up early and will watch the unit in the AM for roughly 1 hour or so ) and once in the evening ( family TV time for 2.5 hours or so ).

This is the same pattern I used with my HS10 as well. Once my lamp reaches 600 to 700 hours I will pick up a new lamp. The original will become a spare.

I plan on having the HS51 for longer than I had the HS10 ( had that a year and a half ) so I will see how long a lamp lasts with my pattern or use.

I run my projector in the low lamp mode setting in a smoke free enviroment which is relatively climate controlled ( air conditioned in the summer ).

Regards,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.