AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does someone qualify for the HD Networks from NY of LA? There is no way I am getting an OTA HD signal where I live. Is there a site where you can punch in a zipcode or look at a map that shows who qualifies for these stations.


I know E* only has CBS HD, but I thought some folks are receiving CBS, ABC, FOX, & NBC HD feeds with D*. Can somebody set me straight on this?


The two closest markets to me are Louisville and Indianapolis. I think it will be awhile before I see any HD locals for either market carried by D* or E*. And Charter service here is AWEFUL, and HD won't be available through them for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
initially, I said the same thing as you.


Went to a local electronics shop here in town and noticed they had the local CBS affiliate on in HD, and asked them how they were getting it. It was OTA.


Needless to say OTA is what finally pushed me to making the move to HD. If it wasnt available, I probably would still be waiting for more programming...


Here's the link you requested.....

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
He asked for a link that would tell him if he qualified for NY/LA HD nets. Check out D*s website, under HD programming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,414 Posts
But, he's only 25 years old.


He's probably never heard of Free, Over-the-Air TV, from an antenna :) !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
I know E* only has CBS HD, but I thought some folks are receiving CBS, ABC, FOX, & NBC HD feeds with D*.
...Another option...No extra charge/month for two sets of HD US networks on StarChoice.... http://www.starchoice.com/english/le...mming/hdtv.asp


East.....NBC, CBS, ABC & FOX from Detroit....PBS from Buffalo


West....NBC, CBS & FOX from Seattle....I expect that ABC Seattle will be back on StarChoice Sept 8....also likely CBC HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Is Job One
...Another option...No extra charge/month for two sets of HD US networks on StarChoice.... http://www.starchoice.com/english/le...mming/hdtv.asp


East.....NBC, CBS, ABC & FOX from Detroit....PBS from Buffalo


West....NBC, CBS & FOX from Seattle....I expect that ABC Seattle will be back on StarChoice Sept 8....also likely CBC HD
As has been pointed out in the other thread you posted this in, if the OP is in the USA, it is ILLEGAL to subscribe to Canadian services, just like it is ILLEGAL for Canadians to subscribe to USA services. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it does all day long, but people here in the USA are starting to be busted for it.


Buyer beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
He asked for a link that would tell him if he qualified for NY/LA HD nets. Check out D*s website, under HD programming.
oops..... my bust! But at least I gave him a link.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish
But, he's only 25 years old.


He's probably never heard of Free, Over-the-Air TV, from an antenna :) !
LOL! :D :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
if the OP is in the USA, it is ILLEGAL to subscribe to Canadian services, just like it is ILLEGAL for Canadians to subscribe to USA services.
....I wasn't aware that US subs of StarChoice & ExpressVu having legal problems. You do have to use a Canadian mailing address to be activated though.


...BTW for the four years I had DirecTV here in Canada I certainly didn't feel like a criminal....I did feel that I was paying too much/ month though...LOL....I'm much happier with StarChoice as there are many advantages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
But, he's only 25 years old.


He's probably never heard of Free, Over-the-Air TV, from an antenna!


And you must be so old and senile that you can't read that I said that I cannot receive the OTA HD channels in my original post. I have already mounted a Dish and spent alot of time trying. Some people actually live somewhere that makes it impossible to get them.


I'm just kidding about the senile crack. I promise you that I respect my elders. I'm actually 24. And all I had as a little kid was OTA until my parents got satellite when I was 10 or 12.
 

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
And you must be so old and senile that you can't read that I said that I cannot receive the OTA HD channels in my original post. I have already mounted a Dish and spent alot of time trying.
You do know that an antenna, not a dish, is what's needed for local digital reception, right?


Once you check these two web sites to see what you can get, then look at other options.

www.titantv.com
www.antennaweb.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. Yes. I mounted a CM 4228 on the roof. And I know antennaweb says that I should get at least 3 digital channels. But I live on the side of a hill, and I have trees all around my house.


I thought that some people were able to get the NY or LA HD feeds if they can prove they are in a white area. Now, I doubt that I am since I supposedly should be able to tune in several HD feeds. I just wanted to get the facts on this before I make a decision to switch to E* or not.
 

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
LOL. Yes. I mounted a CM 4228 on the roof. And I know antennaweb says that I should get at least 3 digital channels. But I live on the side of a hill, and I have trees all around my house.


I thought that some people were able to get the NY or LA HD feeds if they can prove they are in a white area. Now, I doubt that I am since I supposedly should be able to tune in several HD feeds. I just wanted to get the facts on this before I make a decision to switch to E* or not.
Thanks for clearing that up.


DirecTV will provide some subscribers with the network HD feeds from NY and/or LA. They've had a web page where you punch in your zip and it tells you what you can get, but I don't think it's available any more.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dns.html


I would call their 800 number (maybe a few different times, to be sure) and see what they say. It can't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Given a call to right D* number, it may be possible to obtain all four network HD feeds. I guess I'll just leave it at that :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Then you can read this thread and decide if you want to wait for HD/LIL's, or beat yourself up swimming up stream to spawn! Post Shevra Waivers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Whoa Jerry, just read your post, that is astounding... hmm... Actually as for eligiblity for HD feeds, whether you are in an O&O is one factor, but holding a waiver makes you eligible. Now D* is regularly reporting subscribers with DNS feeds to local affiliates.

Nice catch, Jerry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Is Job One
....I wasn't aware that US subs of StarChoice & ExpressVu having legal problems. You do have to use a Canadian mailing address to be activated though.
The mailing address has nothing to do with it. It is where the service is being received at. That is the same situation the OP has. Wants a station not available in their area, and saying they live somewhere that is eligible and then receiving it "out of market.". We have federal laws in the US about that. It is called SHVERA, Satellite Home Viewer Exension & Reauthorization Act of 2004.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
While we are on the subject of laws, Jerry E, you got to love the edit button!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy
Whoa Jerry, just read your post, that is astounding.... CSR taking liberties, hmm...
It happens, last October I called up to see if I could get the Fox feed for the MLB playoffs. Two minutes into the phone call all 4 of them went live, FOX E/W HD/SD...no discussion about eligibility...no waivers...and you and I both know I should not be getting FOX feeds here in the bay area. Ever since April I have expected them to disappear, but they're still there...I'm really curious what is going to happen on the 25th.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top