AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon:

I have a new Samsung Q9 (awesome). It is the only "smart" device in my system, which includes an older Denon 2313ci receiver.

Right now the best (only) way to get TIDAL streaming to that Denon, and out to my MK speakers, is through the TV's "smart" hub via optical audio. This works fine, but I wonder if I am losing so much quality that it makes the lossless TIDAL not worth it?

My question is: How do people stream TIDAL to their systems? Is it better to purchase a media streamer just for this purpose? Use a dedicated iPad? Or is the SMART TV > Receiver > speakers being authentic to the TIDAL Hi-Fi? And if so, would the HDMI ARC be better than optical?

Thanks....

·
Banned
577 Posts
I have a chromecast audio I stopped using. It worked great initially, but after a month or two, I had a hard time connecting to it with an iphone or a pc. Gave up on it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
HDMI ARC can handle CD quality audio just fine and you shouldn't be "losing" anything. If you want an outboard streamer the cheapest that's still designed for audio is the Sonos Connect. The Bluesound Node 2i has newer components and supports more formats but is also $150 more.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That's a good summary of Chomecast audio advantages in that link. Chromecast audio, as a standalone device from google, is no longer available and is out of stock at Best Buy et al. Best to scoop one up now (probably on eBay) if needed before unobtanium pricing kicks in (has already started a little bit).

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
For Tidal MQA; only available via desktop app feeding your amp or AVR;

Unless things changed past few months

Reactions: audiofreak38

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
For Tidal MQA; only available via desktop app feeding your amp or AVR;
EDIT: Never mind crossed-out comment below -- that chart is not for Tidal MQA. MQA does seem to be desktop only as quoted above.

I don't know if it's accurate (I don't use Tidal), but the chart in the document referenced in post #2 shows Tidal as available on IOS and Android but not on the desktop.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I receive Tidal MQA via Bluesound Node 2i output via RCA to my Anthem AVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenM10759

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I use a bluesound node 2 but I also use bluetooth...just depends what Im doing. bluesound has its own app, bluetooth I use desktop tidal app.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.