AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded my 48" projection panasonic tv for my parents 42" panasonic plasma. when i got it in my living room i noticed there were lines in one part that showed up from a light glare. apparently my 3 year old nephew drew on it with crayons, it seems like just the wax is left in a thin layer. i've done some searching and the best suggestions so far seem to be Isopropyl alcohol, ascetic acid (white vinegar), and of all things Meguiar's Professional Plastic Polish #10.

anyone have any suggestions from experience, or suggestions at all?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So far I've only had to deal with the mini-me handprints
. I use a microfiber cloth from by bins o' car detailing gear with some water to deal with that.

As for crayons, this method seems like the best first attempt, a hair dryer to warm it up and a damp cloth to wipe if off.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I could almost see the usefulness of a kids-n-plasmas thread, probably because I have a new 5010 and twin 2 year olds.

I did recently find that sneezes dry quite quickly with a Kuro putting off its normal heat. Was showing the TV off to one of my little ones...

Good luck with the crayon...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing a little bit of scrubbing with steel wool wouldn't do !!
Just kidding!

Someone already mentioned, warming up the portion using a hair dryer and then possibly using a warm damp microfiber clothe will take it off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On second thought, I would keep the cloth dry. Totally blanked out on the wax & water thing
. I'm guessing a damp cloth would just smear the rainbow of fun.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
A vasectomy for your bro-in-law (or brother) 3 years ago.
Of course that would require a time machine that hasn't been invented yet.
I would suggest a tiny dab of "Goo Gone" on a microfiber cloth...or maybe simply a spritz on non-alcohol lcd/plasma cleaner spray.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Meguiar's #10 to polish the plastic window on my car's convertible top.

It is designed to take out scratches in the plastic with fine abrasives. I would not use it on my plasma. No telling what would happen if you rub it in too much.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also, right now we have an XT gate/fence guarding our plasma and A/V rack. Very much like this . We also are getting a taller A/V rack. My son has a great affinity for electronics and things with buttons

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I would call & ask the maker of the set what to use because by now I'm sure they must have gotten calls on how to remove crayon's & it might differ from model to model depending on Ant-Glare screens & etc? You might also check with the crayon company but as qpskfec said I would'nt use anything that had abrasives in it & that includes toothpaste.

You might even want to go the other route of putting ice on it so it would harden & maybe crack right off? Best thing though is to check with the manufacture or you could even call a local repair shop & ask them.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Check out the Monster brand flat screen cleaner. It come with a microcloth and works real well. I have used it successfully on my plasma screens, CRTs and LCDs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Orange Glo will work, very nicely too. From experience, our local thrift stores price things with crayons and I use it to get the stuff off. The problem is it will leave a smeary oily residue, so you'll have to clean it off with something like Monster screen cleaner after.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I know the technique for getting wax (candle wax) out of cloth and carpet, it may help here.

The wax techique is to use a brown paper bag and iron. You open up the brown bag and place the unprinted side against the carpet/fabric. Using the iron set on a low temp you then iron the bag. The bag pulls the wax out of the carpet/fabric. You may be able to use this with the hair dryer method listed above. If you can get the bag against the glass and heat the paper enough to melt the crayon you the paper may pull the wax off the screen.

Then again, this could not do anything...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would caution that any heat may damage the thin AR plastic film layer on the front glass. WD 40 or strong solvents are out for the same reason.

Microfiber cloths and non-ammonia detergent diluted miknimum 100:1 is the Factory recommended procedure. Of course too much elbow grease may also damage the AR film so a lot of care is involved.

In the extreme, the front glass could be replaced, a several hundred dolllar repair.

TW

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Jeff D,

Just saw your caption, thanks for the laugh !

TW

·
Registered
24 Posts
K folks...I found a very simple solution to crayon on screens.

Take a cotton t-shirt and wet the top 1/10 (neck area), squeeze out excess water.

Ball up t-shirt with wet portion at bottom. Place on microwavable plate with wet portion on bottom. Steam will rise through dry portions of shirt. Micro for about 30-45 seconds. Take out of micro, wait until temp of shirt is cool enough to hold (can still be a little hot). With dry (now barely damp) areas, buff screen until crayon marks are gone.

I did this with a massively marked up 61" Sammy DLP. Since it worked so well, I buffed the entire screen. It took about 3 minutes to buff entire screen, and it looks like new.

GL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My LCD flat screen was just covered in crayon and we could not get it off. Whoever mentioned the hairdryer was right. We just used the hairdryer and a DRY cloth (someone also mentioned water and wax) and the crayon came right off easy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone who happens to have a Panasonic Plasma:

Just try a dry cotton cloth a couple days after the crayon incident. I initially was looking to use the blow dryer method mentioned here, but after a second of wiping I noticed that I didn't need the blow dryer.

The cloth I used is comparable to a cotton t-shirt. Also the crayon was Rose brand, I don't know if that would make a difference? Crayolas maybe softer/oilier crayons?

19 month old + crayons + plasma = daddy clean up operation

1 - 20 of 22 Posts