AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Replay 3000 for a long time now. About 3 years ago I got rid of my land line and the Replay just kept complaining about not being able to dial in. I couldn't find a good way around the problem so I just gave the unit to my neighbors. When their cable company went all digital, they didn't want it any more so they gave it back to me. So with nothing to lose I decided to try some extreme actions. (I was going to pull the ROMs and try looking for the code that tells it to dial in), but first I started messing with the settings and finally came across the following.

I went into the location and dialing settings and entered all 0s. 000-000-0000 and so on. I entered 0s in every field I could find and told it to save. But then it complained that it could not make a connection and the settings were not saved. (I was kind of hoping that if it had all 0s save in the phone number it would not try to dial). When that didn't work I got ticked and just yanked the power cord from the wall. Guess what, THAT WORDED! If you put all 0s in the fields, tell it to save, when the message comes back that it can't make a connection pull the power cord from the wall and then you will end up with all Xs in all the fields. Every single field in my settings are now Xs. XXX-XXX-XXXX and so on.

Now my unit never tries to dial out and I use it as a in stream buffer only. I can pause live TV and I can pause a movie at the beginning (go do some yard work) and come back to watch it later with the ability to skip the commercials.

I can change the inputs but I obviously can't schedule any recordings.

If you try this, you do so at your own risk.

-Web Hog

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
This sounds promising, I have a couple of old 3000's I don't use much. How long have you been operating it like this? I tried something like this once and it worked for a couple of weeks and then it went into the 'you must call home' mode. If this works it would be great, because a video buffer is exactly how I wanted to use mine. (I have 5000's for normal recording purposes.)

Thanks for the interesting post!

Bron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron /forum/post/15453838

This sounds promising, I have a couple of old 3000's I don't use much. How long have you been operating it like this? I tried something like this once and it worked for a couple of weeks and then it went into the 'you must call home' mode. If this works it would be great, because a video buffer is exactly how I wanted to use mine. (I have 5000's for normal recording purposes.)

Thanks for the interesting post!

Bron

I did it on Dec 23 08 and it's now Jan 5th 09. Tomorrow will be two weeks. Now you have me scared. I've never been able to get it to last longer the 45 minutes before this discovery. It will be just mu luck if it starts complaining again tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope this works out for us.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You guys are breakin' my heart searching for a way to run the 3000's in "cripple mode". If you have a computer with a spare modem you can load up freesco (even in a VMWARE partition on XP) and force a direct dial every couple of days between the ReplayTV and that spare modem. Even better, if you have a dual ported ATA (VOIP terminal adapter), you can set the nightly dial to go directly between ports and get a low speed connection. I have two 3000s that do their nightly dial using the dual ported ATA....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz /forum/post/15498886

dual ported ATA (VOIP terminal adapter)....

I read about such things once and found lots of people having problems/questions and no one was replying. It would be nice if someone could point me to some easy to understand step by step instructions for these configurations jonwz.

I'm not sure what a dual ported ATA is but if it does not require me putting a computer in the living room, I'm interested in learning more.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Hog /forum/post/15503802

I read about such things once and found lots of people having problems/questions and no one was replying. It would be nice if someone could point me to some easy to understand step by step instructions for these configurations jonwz.

I'm sure I read many of the same threads and finally took some time to figure out something that worked for me. As everyone has different requirements and computer equipment, there isn't a "one size fits all" solution.

If I was in your position - one replaytv, existing house-phone wiring (hopefully) no longer in use, computer in different room from replayTV, I'd first try to keep it simple. I'd go for a "forced connect" environment. First I'd do a simple test - just ensuring that the replay modem could connect to your computer modem. Once that worked I could point you at the software you'd run on your computer to answer the call, and route the connect over broadband.

If you want to give that a try, feel free to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Hog /forum/post/15503802

I'm not sure what a dual ported ATA is but if it does not require me putting a computer in the living room, I'm interested in learning more.

An example of a dual ported ATA is a sipura (now linksys) SPA-2000 - just a VOIP termination box that has two addressable RJ11 connectors. You can use it to create a poor-mans phone-line simulator. I needed that as I have two replaytv's and wanted them to automatically update every night. This works much better than doing an actual dial over a VOIP provider as you take the Internet out of the middle, improving the connection quality. Even with a "null phone network" my replayTV's have to be set to 9.6 for workable connections.

With one replaytv, you could probably live without the ATA and just do a forced connect every couple of days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the home dialup server method for two years, every week. The default Vonage codec did not successfully complete even a slow Showstopper modem connection. Does a dual-RJ11 VOIP ATA box do anything special - I don't think so but I had/have the old Motorola VT1000 - it did not function well, ever, as a poor-man's phone line simulator. Perhaps if I had added fax-line service to Vonage, that might have fixed it.

I did a few connections without a simulator, manually making a simulated phone connection to update, and the timing was tricky - not worth it. A real phone line simulator doesn't have to be very expensive and that is what I used. I still have 1 or 2 if you want. Note you'd have to boot a PC with FreeSCO every week to do an update.

One great aspect of this setup was that when I sold the Showstoppers, I could then setup the DVRs with the buyer's local phone number pre-set, pre-updated, for the price of a local VOIP connection. Pretty neat-o.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted /forum/post/15507729

Does a dual-RJ11 VOIP ATA box do anything special

Yes, it takes takes Vonage and Internet delays out of the picture. One port directly dials the other. Minimal impairments to the call. I tried VOIP dial over Broadvoice, Packet8, Future-Nine and others with no luck. I'm having good luck with the back to back dial.

Quote:

I did a few connections without a simulator, manually making a simulated phone connection to update, and the timing was tricky.

I found a "trick" that makes the timing easy. Run minicom on the freesco PC and do an ATA modem command (forces the answer) to the PC's modem after you've initiated the Net Connect from the replaytv.

Quote:

A real phone line simulator doesn't have to be very expensive and that is what I used. I still have 1 or 2 if you want. Note you'd have to boot a PC with FreeSCO every week to do an update.

Yes, a real phone line simulator would make life easier. I already had the SPA-2000 so that was my choice. A phone-sim and the freesco forum discussion (see "Lightening's" answers to my pptp dial question in the .040 section) might be all you need. But I'd probably try the manual connect before buying additional hardware.

BTW, Lightening does a FANTASTIC job of supporting questions on his freesco router software.

You can schedule a freesco virtual machine to run every night under XP, no need to directly boot to freesco. In fact the virtual machine approach maybe required if you have a winmodem on your PC.

There are a few different ways to get the dial update working, you just have to decide if and how you want to approach it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz /forum/post/15498886

You guys are breakin' my heart searching for a way to run the 3000's in "cripple mode". If you have a computer with a spare modem you can load up freesco (even in a VMWARE partition on XP) and force a direct dial every couple of days between the ReplayTV and that spare modem. Even better, if you have a dual ported ATA (VOIP terminal adapter), you can set the nightly dial to go directly between ports and get a low speed connection. I have two 3000s that do their nightly dial using the dual ported ATA....
jonz, can you explain the use of the ATA in more detail? I have an SPA2000 sitting around gathering dust and I'd like to get my Replay 2020 updating its guide again. I have no land line and my T-Mobile VoIP doesn't support the "modems".

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoy /forum/post/15510596

jonz, can you explain the use of the ATA in more detail? I have an SPA2000 sitting around gathering dust and I'd like to get my Replay 2020 updating its guide again. I have no land line and my T-Mobile VoIP doesn't support the "modems".

Sent you a PM. There's a great, free spa configuration program on the 'net. If you're interested I think the best way to start is for me to send you that with my configuration. There are several settings that I've picked up from VOIP provider recommendations for (trying) to make fax work over their networks. But the basic concept is that each port has a username, and also a dial string. You can use both so that, for example, the replaytv plugged in line 1 can dial [email protected] (my spa's ip address). The modem is plugged into line two, gets the ring, sends the ata port off-hook, and the modems start handshaking.

I'm assuming the 2020 has the ability to set the port speed to 9600 like the 3xxx and showstopper models.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.