AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do people handle 2.4:1 movies on a 2.35:1 screen? Do you have a separate aspect ratio setting on your VP and live with very narrow black bars, or do you cut off a bit of the width?

·
Registered
587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore /forum/post/14237194

How do people handle 2.4:1 movies on a 2.35:1 screen? Do you have a separate aspect ratio setting on your VP and live with very narrow black bars, or do you cut off a bit of the width?

My screen was originally designed to take care of this.

I merely used a bit larger aspect screen from day one. Simple answer, but anticipating the "occasional" higher aspect movie made it relatively easy to build the slightly larger screen. Height stays the same, no matter if it is 1:33, 1:85, 2.35, 2:40, etc etc.

Best,

Tom

Chinaclipper

·
Registered
562 Posts
The difference is so minor it would hardly be noticeable particularly if you had any over scan at all to start with.

If my math is right, on a 100" screen width and 2.35 movie you will get a height of 42.55", with a 100" screen width on a 2.4 movie you will get a screen height of 41.6" so a tad over an inch of black bar, split that on the top and bottom and you are talking black bars of half an inch, those are some pretty tiny black bars and if you over scanned even a tiny bit you won't see them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is kind of a dopey thread. Got off my lazy behind last night to actully measure my screen and it is actually 2.38:1 - makes the differences even less relevant.

In the classic tradition of SNL: 'Never Mind!'

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I thought it was a good question
After all, the intent is to preserve as much of the film frame as possible. No display device should produce overscan. Overscan = loss of resolution and picture information. So...an inch is an inch...out of one side of our mouths we cry for OAR from the studios...and out of the other side of our mouths we say "it's close enough" on our screens.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Michael if you liked the question so much why didn't you answer it?

I thought most projectors do overscan naturally, it is the good ones that allow you to reduce/remove it. As well does overscan really equal a loss of resolution? You are still using your full panel when you overscan, sure you may be loosing picture information, but I don't think there is resolution lose.

·
Registered
27,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/14248377

IAs well does overscan really equal a loss of resolution? You are still using your full panel when you overscan, sure you may be loosing picture information, but I don't think there is resolution lose.

The parts of the picture removed due to overscan have a resolution of 0x0.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
lol...actually, I'm not a constant image height owner, and I don't have experience with it, nor have I had a call from a client that implements this setup so I haven't tinkered around with it. Today is the first day I'm browsing this forum because I have a personal interest in this since I plan on doing a projector upgrade sometime in the near future...so I have to decide if I should dump my current screen in the process! ...so really, I was here looking for an answer, not to answer it!
At this point in time I have my head too deep in audio...

I think it's about time I get my hands on some of these to play around...I know of only two dealers that implement this and they are both about 1.5hr drives from me...booooo...

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I got a question about the overscan comment.

Forgive my ignorance.

Doesn't a movie contain a certain amount of pixels? If something in your chain is overscanning any thing, aren't those real pixels being thrown away and than your display/VP has to upconvert it to its native resolution?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi Shamus

Simply put - when overscan is added, you are no longer 1:1 pixel mapping. I just calibrated a Panasonic PT-AE2000 today and applied 0% overscan. As soon as I keyed in 1% overscan when using a resolution pattern from my video generator, I lost all resolution at the resolution limit, and banding occured at 2 pixel widths.

I have another PT-AE2000 to do on Monday. I'll take pictures of the effects of overscan on resolution and post them here. Hopefully the camera will show it.

In the meantime, here's a read from ISF's Joel Silver on the issue:

http://www.cepro.com/article/3_steps...m_joel_silver/

Enjoy - and get rid of that overscan!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Without having to use the overscan of the projector, you could manually overscan with the zoom and not loose any resolution. Not a perfect solution if your goal is perfection, but in my case, it works for me.

I have a 2.35 screen and I still haven't made my mount for my lense yet so I have just been doing it the lazy/cheap way and zooming, my 2.4 picture always fills my.

What could your other solutions possibly be? I only see two, masking the .5 inch on the top and bottom or living with the black bars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts