AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my HTPC running in my tv room and everything works fine. I also have a pair of speakers going into the living room for music. I can't switch songs with my harmony remote since it's only IR and there is a wall betwen the rooms, I can do it with my RF wireless keyboard but I never now what song is coming next and I can't select the songs I want since this is all done without any screen. What I'm looking for is an easy and not too expensive way to handle the songs from the living room. One option would be to have a second monitor in the living room, but I'm already using both, the DVI and VGA ports, of my video card.

I'm sure there are hundreds of gadgets out there that can do the job, but I'm just lost. I would like you to help me choose a simple cheap way to get this to work.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
If you have a second PC in the second room like a laptop, then you can use software to see what is playing on the first pc and to be able to view / control / change playlist etc.

Not to mention that the second PC can also be a music renderer if connected to amp / speakers.

Cheapest would be to use RDP to connect to the first system (from the Console) to view the first PCs desktop and applications. If you have the right OS's, then this is free.

VNC and several others can do same.

Best is to use a multizone software like J river Media Center. You can then use MainLobby / MusicLobby to manage the multiple J river instances (one instance on each PC).

·
Registered
459 Posts
What harmony remote do you have? If it uses AAA batteries you could get a RF kit that may give you enough range.

Do you have a laptop that you could use remote desktop to log into the PC? Or you could try one of many applications to use a laptop/PDA to control your HTPC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got a Philips SRM7500 that does that. RF based MCE remote with an okay IR learning remote. It has a small B&W screen to browse your media library. You already have a Harmony remote so I doubt this is the best solution.

If you have WiFi you could also use a PDA with one of the remote control software packages or Remote Desktop to do this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your replys. I think I'll start trying out my wife's palm, if it doesn't work I'll have to come back and ask some more.

Thanks again

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonzon /forum/post/12969728

Thanks a lot for your replys. I think I'll start trying out my wife's palm, if it doesn't work I'll have to come back and ask some more.

Thanks again

What model palm is it? It needs to have Bluetooth, or Wifi to accomplish what you want.

If you cant find any purpose built applications, you could use VNC, there are plenty of vnc clients for the PalmOS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts