AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm in a dilemma with my warranty on my TV. I bought a Toshiba 47HL167 about 2 years ago, and have a 3 year warranty on it. It has a vertical black line of dead pixels, so I called and had a the warranty people (assurant) come take a look at it. They first said they would replace the panel, and now they want to replace the entire set. They offered me a Westinghouse VM-47F140S, which from looking at it, seems rather low end.

The website is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ey=w330-4710bx

Has any one else have dealt with the Warranty for Circuit City since they went out of business? Is there a way I can just get the purchase price back? The sales associate said this was an option when I originally bought the TV if they couldn't replace with the same model. I don't think a $750 TV is comparable with a $2000 TV. Especially when it seems the Westinghouse is listed as a computer monitor, and is not advertised as any sort of TV, but a monitor for computer info.

Opinions, help, anything else is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prvtav8r /forum/post/16976596

Hey everyone, I'm in a dilemma with my warranty on my TV. I bought a Toshiba 47HL167 about 2 years ago, and have a 3 year warranty on it. It has a vertical black line of dead pixels, so I called and had a the warranty people (assurant) come take a look at it. They first said they would replace the panel, and now they want to replace the entire set. They offered me a Westinghouse VM-47F140S, which from looking at it, seems rather low end.

The website is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ey=w330-4710bx

Has any one else have dealt with the Warranty for Circuit City since they went out of business? Is there a way I can just get the purchase price back? The sales associate said this was an option when I originally bought the TV if they couldn't replace with the same model. I don't think a $750 TV is comparable with a $2000 TV. Especially when it seems the Westinghouse is listed as a computer monitor, and is not advertised as any sort of TV, but a monitor for computer info.

Opinions, help, anything else is greatly appreciated.

it's going to come down to what your contract says. dig it out and read it, and post what it says if you're not sure what it really means or want opinion on that.

they may be trying to get off cheap, or they may be complying with the original contract. you can't tell without the contract wording itself. and of course it matters not what the salesman said or didnt' say....

i read on this forum that best buy recently changed their contract to read that reimbursement would be for the current value of the warrantied set vs. original price paid and the guy had to show them what his contract said and got full dollars back, otherwise he was getting a deal like what you are talking about.

TVbc

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Once a company goes into bankruptcy, basically whatever u had can go out the doors, legally. At least CC has *something* in place.

If you are not happy with the replacement, I would take the cash and run.

Just like buying a house, expensive old-technology TV, it doesn't matter what u paid for it. It only matters what the market perceives as it's worth today.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16976881

Once a company goes into bankruptcy, basically whatever u had can go out the doors, legally. At least CC has *something* in place.

If you are not happy with the replacement, I would take the cash and run.

Just like buying a house, expensive old-technology TV, it doesn't matter what u paid for it. It only matters what the market perceives as it's worth today.

his warranty contract, like all of them, is not with the retailer, it is a third party company, and is unaffected by circuitcity's bankruptcy.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16977263

it is a third party company,

oops, serves me right for not reading slowly.

This opens up more questions for ppl considering electronics' insurance.

(1) Do u want to buy insurance from a third party who's not affiliated, in name, to a big brand retailer, whose insurance company has nothing to loose by given u shoddy service? (OK not applied in this particular case since CC, being bankrupted, no longer cares about its name).

(2) When it comes time for replacement, since electronics go obsolete very quickly, will u be happy with whatever, them perceived as comparable, give you? I ask this, because sum of us spend an unbelievable amount of time picking not only the brand, features, but also how it looks. Will it be better if the contract says, you have a choice of a comparable TV, OR CASH, whatever u choose. and how much cash is fair?

Don't wanna hijack this thread.... but food for thoughts.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You need to tell them that their offer of the tv is not acceptable as you want a comparable product to what you bought. Find a current Toshiba 47" tv with similar features to what you had and tell them that is what you want. If necessary, get with a supervisor.

They will offer you the biggest piece of junk they can get away with on the first try, if you say yes, they're happy and you're not.

You'll have to move up their food chain of authority, but if you request a reasonable match to your old tv you will probably get it. There have been many others utilizing their warranties that they got from CC's insurer and they have gotten reasonable replacements. I have not seen anyone get money back, just another tv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I figure cash is pretty much out of the question, as it is with a 3rd party company now, but a comparable TV would be nice. I just know that the Westinghouse is not likely comparable. I know what I would love to have, Samsung 46A850, but figure they won't do that. Some of the newer Toshiba's do look nice, and are the same price I paid. I just really don't want an off brand TV. I know some people were able to haggle up quite a bit, and its a Customer Satisfaction based warranty. I'm going to call tomorrow, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through 3 repairs with my Circuit City purchased, Sony KDS-60A2000 TV...

At the time, we had purchased the unit for about $2000...

After going through 2 repairs, problems still existed with the optic block...

But the time I requested a 3rd repair, CC had gone out of business, and Assurant/GE had taken over.

They informed me that they WOULD not repair the TV, but would verify that it had a defect, and then would replace the TV.

They ended up cutting a check to me, for the original purchase price of the TV, as there was no "Comparable" model.

I know that there were some comparable models out there, but they chose check...

Tell them that the option they have provided comes no where close to what you originally purchased, and that only a check for the full value will suffice.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Your "comparable" model is not a $2000 Samsung. It would probably be a $850 Toshiba.

The most you can expect is to replace a low-mid level Toshiba with a low-mid level Toshiba. The same "level" tv will still have better specs than what you are replacing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, I never said I was going to ask for, and demand a 46A850. I even admitted it was probably not going to happen.

Second, I don't consider the 47hl167 a low end brand. it was one of Toshiba's better TVs. But I am not going to accept a off brand crappy TV. I expect tit for tat. And if you can go show me where I can find my tv for $850, I will tell Assurant to go buy my replacement TV. I can't find it anywhere on line for less that $1200, and the average is still $1600. That is the price for which I could buy the A850.

At this point, I am going to filing a complaint in my state with the BBB, the Insurance Commission, and the attorney general. I will also join any Class action Lawsuit, as there are numerous complaints on the warranty work for Assurant. Items returned even more damaged, or blatant lies and empty promises.

I am also filing a claim with my renters insurance, and see if it goes better through them.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I didn't say it was a "low end brand", I said it was a mid "model" which it was. The discontinued A850 was a much higher end product than even Toshiba's upper models. The current model closest might be a Toshiba 46RV525R. At around $995, it is still much better than what you lost.

While there are "we fix it or refund the set's cost" warranties, you apparently didn't buy one of those. The warranty company is trying to assess your "loss" and probably low balled the Westinghouse. Anything over a roughly comp. current Toshiba is a pipe dream.

And how in anyone's mind you could file a renter's insurance claim is beyond me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had moved 2500 miles across the country with the TV in the back of an U-haul, sandwiched between two mattresses. Our renters insurance covered everything in the move. As we noticed the Black line within a day or two of the move, its an option to explore. If they handle it better than ASSurant I'll go with that claim.

I'm just trying to cover all my bases, and make the best decision I can.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prvtav8r /forum/post/16976596

Especially when it seems the Westinghouse is listed as a computer monitor, and is not advertised as any sort of TV, but a monitor for computer info.

In this context, monitor means that the TV doesn't have a built-in tuner. You must have a cable or satellite box (or some other method) to provide the channels. Our plasma is a monitor and I think we saved like $500 or 600 by buying the monitor model instead of with a tuner. This was back when plasmas were still $4000 on average.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.