AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I decided to get a Panasonic L300u. I also decided to get a HCCV screen 16x9, 45x80, pro-trim. My basement is being finished - work will begin in mid-May. I want to buy things early and figure out how to do it all. Can anyone help with the following (yes, I know I can read the user manual, but many times, practical tips help more than instruction manuals):

- I won't be using a recessed mount or a hush box, but I want a fairly inconspicuous mount. Is there a preferred one and are there different types?

- Is there an optimum height to mount the screen and how far off the ceiling do you mount the projector? I'll have 8 foot gypsum board ceilings (not drop). The screen height and projector hanging depth seem like the chicken and egg to me. Where do you start? I'll be sitting down watching almost all the time on a standard sectional couch, although I'm buying a pool table for behind the couch that I also want to see the screen from (i.e. over the couch height).; I might give up a few inches of screen bottom vision if that make the viewing better from the couch.

- Is there a preference for hanging the projector lower vs. hanging it higher (for convenience or better hiding of wires??) and tilting the projector?

- what role does keystone correction play in all this?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Start by deciding on a comfortable height for the screen. There is a comon recommendation here of having your eye level (when sitting in the couch) be 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the screen. (Mine is about 8 inches higher than that and it's fine for me.) I marked out the outline of the screen location on the wall with masking tape and spent a while staring at it to make sure it would be comfortable.

Having fixed that, then the projector manual should tell you how to determine the height to put the PJ. Mine (HS10) wants the center of the lens to be level with the top edge of the screen: L300 could be different.

You may also want to make sure the PJ doesn't end up so low that you are at risk of bumping into it with your head. (I put my screen a bit higher than the usual recommendation just for this reason.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.