AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here on the forum and also relatively new to the hifi scene. I've bought myself a second hand system (speakers are new) but find the sound lacking in detail. I use Monitor Audio RX2 speakers, and while they are very enjoyable to listen to, I get a cleaner and more detailed sound image when I plug in my headphones.

I wonder what causes this difference? Can anyone make a suggestion on how to enhance the sound produced by the RX2's?


My setup is as follows: Music Hall a.25 amp and cd.25 cd-player. The speakers are connected with 4mm thick copper wire.


Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
You could probably benefit from some acoustical treatment or an auto room EQ program like Audyssey. If possible, first perhaps, play with speaker locations and aiming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart34 /forum/post/19538530


Hi, I'm new here on the forum and also relatively new to the hifi scene. I've bought myself a second hand system (speakers are new) but find the sound lacking in detail. I use Monitor Audio RX2 speakers, and while they are very enjoyable to listen to, I get a cleaner and more detailed sound image when I plug in my headphones.

I wonder what causes this difference? Can anyone make a suggestion on how to enhance the sound produced by the RX2's?


My setup is as follows: Music Hall a.25 amp and cd.25 cd-player. The speakers are connected with 4mm thick copper wire.


Bart

How far are your speakers from a listening position? Sometimes when you are too close, speakers do not sound right. Also you may look at more powerful amp than your a.25.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19539106


Also you may look at more powerful amp than your a.25.

What's wrong with his amp, especially when OP's problem is with "details", not bass?
Output: 50Wpc @ 8Ω / 100Wpc @ 4Ω

Minimum impedance: 2Ω (Stable)

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (± 0.5dB)

THD+N:

Speaker:

40Hz - 35kHz

Sensitivity ([email protected]): 90dB

Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms

Maximum SPL (dBA): 113.8

Power Handling (RMS): 100W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 25-100W
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef /forum/post/19539483


Try regular speaker cable, it does not hurt to experiment.

Yes it does. Audio cable experiment is a waste of time. It's been done and documented to nth time. Regular speaker cable is as transparent as it gets for human ears. Any change is a degradation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef
Try regular speaker cable, it does not hurt to experiment.
Are you suggesting that it is his speaker cable that is causing a lack of detail?


I'd agree with the EQ suggestion or room treatments. I suspect that will help.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd
Yes it does. Audio cable experiment is a waste of time. It's been done and documented to nth time. Regular speaker cable is as transparent as it gets for human ears. Any change is a degradation.
A waste of time in your book, the OP might think differently.


If he has another pair of Speaker cable lying around, then by all means he should try it and let him decide if he thinks it made a difference or not.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic
Are you suggesting that it is his speaker cable that is causing a lack of detail?


I'd agree with the EQ suggestion or room treatments. I suspect that will help.
Maybe, maybe not. Try replacing it, then he will know now won't he.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd
What's wrong with his amp, especially when OP's problem is with "details", not bass?
Output: 50Wpc @ 8Ω / 100Wpc @ 4Ω

Minimum impedance: 2Ω (Stable)

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (± 0.5dB)

THD+N:

Speaker:

40Hz - 35kHz

Sensitivity ([email protected]): 90dB

Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms

Maximum SPL (dBA): 113.8

Power Handling (RMS): 100W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 25-100W
OP stated that headphones produce better sound. It means that there is no problem with source. Then it either speakers or amp. Speakers are new and good enough, though placement can be a problem. Or something wrong with amp.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1
OP stated that headphones produce better sound. It means that there is no problem with source. Then it either speakers or amp. Speakers are new and good enough, though placement can be a problem. Or something wrong with amp.
OP said "cleaner and more detailed sound" with headphone. Cases like that are usually speaker and room interaction issue.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef
A waste of time in your book, the OP might think differently.
Not just mine, all those who are informed with facts on audio cables.

Quote:
If he has another pair of Speaker cable lying around, then by all means he should try it and let him decide if he thinks it made a difference or not.
You keep suggesting others to "reinvent the wheel". That is a waste of time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd
Not just mine, all those who are informed with facts on audio cables.



You keep suggesting others to "reinvent the wheel". That is a waste of time.
People reinvent the wheel all the time. Because you choose to stick your head in the sand does not mean everyone else should as well.


The only time wasted here is listening to people like yourself preach to follow you blindly and not use the mind of their own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
What headphones are you using?


Headphones always sound very different than speakers. They sort of isolate you with the music; blocking most of the ambient room noise from reaching your ears. Also, many headphones exaggerate both high and low frequencies and thus might seem more detailed than they really are.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef /forum/post/19540440


People reinvent the wheel all the time.

Who? Can you cite some examples?

Quote:
Because you choose to stick your head in the sand

That's exactly what you are doing about audio cable engineering.

Quote:
The only time wasted here is listening to people like yourself preach to follow you blindly and not use the mind of their own.

Waste of time is when someone digs into area for negligible benefit when that time can be spent on learning and experimenting with much more substantial benefits such as studying and understanding acoustic properties, acoustic treatments and speaker design.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts
Headphones are usually a lot better than speakers in this regard unless you have REALLY nice speakers.


Headphones also totally eliminate all room reverberation, and that reverberation definitely obscures details.


The solution to achieve the kind of detail you can hear in headphones is: room treatments, and significantly higher quality speakers.


I have $1500 mains in a treated room, and my $200 Sennheiser headphones walk all over them in terms of resolving detail.


That's just the ease of headphones at relatively low cost, they're a lot cheaper to make and they're easier to make extremely good than a pair of speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
ChrisWiggles has provided a most useful and insightful response to your question. Good headphones will beat good speakers in almost every instance.


The only other thing I can ad is to consider controlled directivity speakers which beam the sound directly at your listening position. These can often provide the better clarity of detail that you are seeking.


As always, listen before you buy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/19540819


Who? Can you cite some examples?



That's exactly what you are doing about audio cable engineering.



Waste of time is when someone digs into area for negligible benefit when that time can be spent on learning and experimenting with much more substantial benefits such as studying and understanding acoustic properties, acoustic treatments and speaker design.

You keep reading your papers, I'll keep experimenting and reaching my own conclusions, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobwacky /forum/post/19541277

ChrisWiggles has provided a most useful and insightful response to your question. Good headphones will beat good speakers in almost every instance.

Except for accurate imaging.
 
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top