AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

My projector is mounted 19 inches below the ceiling.

It has power cord, 2 HDMI cables, 1 Cat 6 that is used for IR distribution.

All wires except Cat 6 are black.

I was trying to come up with a way to hide these wires. I heard from my contractor that I can go to auto parts stores and buy wire mold and place all the wires in it. Before I visit auto part store I wanted to see what has worked for you.

Another option is to just these wires to the projector mount column that connects the projector to the ceiling plate.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do you mean that your wires are running across the ceiling instead of into the ceiling? If you're just trying to hide them from the projector to the ceiling then the usual move is to run them up the mounting pipe. From there you free run it through the ceiling to wherever your equipment is.

I have seen cables that aren't above-ceiling hidden inside or behind coffers, fake ceiling beams, and molding of all shapes and sizes. The wire mold route sounds pretty ugly in my opinion! If you do go with wire mold then I would suggest finding an electrical supply house in the area instead of the auto parts store. Why would an auto parts store have wire mold?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
He's talking about something like this

or this

Not the worst choice, IMO, and I imagine the auto parts store is the easiest and cheapest local source, but may not have the best variety.

I've never used either for home theater wiring (I use the slit plastic variety routinely as a mechanic). The braided stuff is nicer, but you have to fish the wires through it, like conduit. The slit plastic stuff is easier to install in most cases.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Running the low voltage (HDMI, cat6, etc.) through the pole extension is a good option. As far as AC, I don't think code would allow that going up through the pole, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20894898

Running the low voltage (HDMI, cat6, etc.) through the pole extension is a good option. As far as AC, I don't think code would allow that going up through the pole, but I could be wrong.

This is a good idea, then the Power cord can be taped to the pole and then put one of those sleeves over and you will have a very clean look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.