AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of powered (bi-amplified) studio monitors (Event 20/20bas) that I use for audio editing in my little home project studio. They are hooked up either to a mixer or directly into my computer via a firewire audio interface. I like the way these speakers sound.

I have a sort of a cheapo 5.1 setup for movie watching (Boston Acoustics System 8000) with a Yamaha RX-V396 Receiver. I'm mulling over the idea of retiring the 5.1 system and moving the Event 20/20's over to the living room for pleasure rather than business, but before I go to the expense of buying a dedicated preamp for this new set up, I'd like to hear what they sound like with the receiver I've got.

So...how do I hook up powered monitors (that accept 1/4" or XLR inputs) to a receiver whose main outputs are speaker wire -- without damaging either the speakers or the receiver?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does your receiver have pre amp outs? If it does, you are in business. Now all you need to do is make some RCA to XLR cables... if you want to tackle this, let me know and I'll tell you how to make the cables.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have active speakers (Hafler trm8) connected to a receiver. They sound spectacular in a hometheater enviroment. I would suggest just getting a 1/4 to rca adapter on the end of the cable that goes into the receiver.

·
Registered
561 Posts
How about some "tape monitor" out? or maybe "aux"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...hmmm. I tried both the tape monitor outputs and the vcr outputs, and it appears that my receiver applies attentuation on its speaker outputs only. tape monitor and vcr outs are at full blast all the time (I practically jumped through the ceiling when I turned on the speakers). Even tuning the monitors down to minimum input sensitivity (using a screwdriver), they were still a little louder than comfortable for normal watching, and of course, the volume knob on the receiver does nothing.

Also, I couldn't get any sound at all from either of these outputs when the input was a dolby digital ac-3 stream (which is decoded in the receiver).

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you don't have pre outs, you're out of luck. If you're looking for the lowest cost solution, Denon makes some nice receivers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.