AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have an OLD Klipsch powered sub.. an SW-8.  it has RCA inputs / outputs and speaker wire inputs / outputs.

I am about to buy a stereo receiver.. probably a used one on CL.  I recently bought a set of Klipsch RF-15s to run with this system.

I've noticed that a lot of the stereo receivers have a SINGLE RCA style jack that says subwoofer output.  I have seen "subwoofer cables" that look like they have a single plug on both ends.. i'm assuming newer subs maybe have a style of plug that combines the left and right into one plug?  or the bass signal is simply not broken into left/right .. it's just "bass"....

since my sub doesn't have a  plug like that - is there some kind of adaptor I would need to get the single plug output to go into my sub?

this is what the back of my sub looks like

what would be the ideal way to setup my new system?

assuming I get a reasonably modern receiver - I will somehow run the subwoofer output to the back of my sub via the rca cables and plug them into the L/R inputs...  but I assume it would be better to run the left right channels to my speakers FROM the receiver.. and NOT from the sub?  

i will eventually upgrade my sub to something bigger with more bass..but for the moemtn.. my old SW-8 is still pumping away after almost 20 years....

thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, it is better to run your front L and R speakers directly from the new receiver. To connect the sub, just run an RCA cable from the "sub out" on the new receiver to the sub, and use an RCA Y adapter (1 female, 2 male) to split the signal and run it into the R and L RCA inputs on the sub. Don't connect anything to the RCA outputs or the "To Speakers" / "From Amplifier" line level connections.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1523685/how-to-hookup-old-sub-to-newer-receiver#post_24514843

The sub output is a "mono" signal. Most sub owner manuals will tell you that although you can split the output to the "L" and "R" inputs on the sub, simply connecting the cable to the "L" input works just as well.

+1. And that is the preferred method over using the speaker level inputs. One of the advantages of a modern receiver is bass management. You might as well take advantage of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts