Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding this subject:

I have the Hauppauge Stereo Model 401 with remote, I cannot afford cable or satellite TV so I have to used an RCA Amplified indoor antenna.

1) How to improve reception with the indoor amplified antenna? I have the RCA amplified antenna.

2) Is there a software that can help improve reception?

3) Does the software you use to display the TV matters? If so, which software will help give the best reception?

4) Does the card placement inside your computer important to reception clarity.

5) What is the best indoor antenna for the best reception that is $50 or under?

Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1)The tuner cards generally have a weak tuner. Probably the most painless way of improving reception would be to use a VCR and pass the signal into the WinTV via composite/s-video.

1+5) I would also suggest trying a non-amplified antenna. Often the amplified ones do more harm than good to the signal. (The radio shack double bow tie is a great UHF antenna for about $20, but you probably need vhf as well)

2) not that I'm aware of. Note reception and picture quality are not the same thing.

3) Dscaler is the software most folks around here use. It is compatible with your tuner and it has lots of filters and options to help you get the most out of your picture (the noise filter may help if you're seeing interference or noise patterns in the picture).

4) it can. Some people have reported great differences by moving slots or by replacing the power supply with a high quality ps. Others (ala KBK) have modified cards to decrease the amount of interference introduced into the picture. Still others have spent time building aluminum foil shields around their cards. Note that almost everyone uses an external tuner (vcr) to get the signal and are going to these lengths to get rid of electrical noise present in the picture.

5) see my first answer. For cheap indoor antennas, RS is hard to beat since you have several to choose from and they don't hassle you for exchanging/ returning until you get what you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the great answers. I would love to have other inputs just in case I have missed anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.