1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Todd I'm glad you started this thread I have been asked a few times lately thru PM how to do this also.

Here is one concern I was wondering if anyone else has had with the linked photos. Both at work and at home I have a very high-speed connection and any photos linked really pop up fast. But I was at a friend's house with a dial up and it was taking a good amount of time loading and as pictures above loaded the stuff we would look at scrolled down etc. and even with my 21 inch monitors many times the photos are so large they run off the screen. I don't know what size photo file is best but with the new cams its easy to post a multi meg photo on line.

The service I use and its also free is Webshots and they have a image tool that lets you select the type of image size you want and also makes the image a thumbnail that can be clicked on to take you to the big picture if you want to see it. The tool automatically copies the link to your clipboard and all you have to do is click paste in the window you are writing the post in.

I have been using the little thumbnails as of late and noticed the pages load very fast.

Just a suggestion as another approach. The whole reason it's done this way is because of a request from AVS to not post pictures directly as it uses a great deal of space on their servers thus slowing the whole system down.

Any one new to this keep in mind when setting up your Photobucket or Webshots or etc page keep a separate folder just for AVS photos or a separate account. Once you link the photo to the post if you move or delete the photo from the host it will show up as a broken link on AVS.

Below is one of the thumbnails for example. Click on it to see the rest.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Webshots automates the process a bit and also allows you to pick a range of thumb sizes. It generates the thumb code and all you have to do is click on it and hit copy click back in the message window and hit paste. The thumbs run between 100 pixels to 600 pixels but all are clickable.

One thing you have to remember is if you post a picture to a server and then move it or rename it your link will be busted. So take your time and set your photo share up carefully and after posting don't move them around.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.