AVS Forum banner

How to Incorporate Sub for Movies and Music

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  mbroadus 
#1 ·
I'm currently looking to buy a Naim Uniti Nova (stereo amplifier, pre-amp, streamer) but have run into a problem with how to integrate with my sub (SVS SB-3000). The Nova will be connected to my Anthem multichannel AVR via FL/FR pre-outs and Nova RCA 1 input which has a AV fixed volume input that works similar to a home theater bypass. So, when I play my home theater Anthem AVR, everything would work as normal with the SB-3000 but when when I play the Nova for 2 channel, a signal would not pass through my Anthem AVR so I'm not able to use my sub. Is there a way to be able to use my SB-3000 while playing the Nova? The Nova has a sub out and so far, my only option is to physically switch the RCA inputs on the sub. Thoughts?

I found this on sound & vision but I'm not smart enough to figure it out - "incorporating a subwoofer for both movies and music in such a setup is more problematic. One recommendation would be to buy a high-quality surround receiver — one from Anthem’s MRX Series, for instance — that provides preamp outputs to connect a more powerful stereo amp for the main left/right channels and lets you store multiple bass management/EQ configurations. With such a setup, you could create one preset optimized for 5.1 movie playback and another tailored specifically for music listening using your front left/right speakers plus subwoofer."

Link to S&V Q&A

Nova - Naim Uniti Nova

Anthem - MRX-720 AVR

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesn't the SB-3000 have 2 line-level inputs? If so, you could put the AVR's sub out into LFE, and the Nova's sub out into the other. Even if both happen to play at the same time, nothing bad should happen as the sub's already capable of L/R input.
You may need to recalibrate the room EQ if for some reason the line-level is different with another input plugged in (I doubt that, but just in case). If both units have room EQ, they should both manage the sub per their specific configuration.
If it doesn't have dual inputs, an RCA Y-cable 2 female, 1 male would allow you to use a single input on the sub.

In any case, if the Nova can't pass it's sub out through the Anthem, it will go directly. If you have to adjusts the subs output differently for both receivers, you might consider setting the gain for whichever needs it the highest, then setting the output level lower on the other one.

If you ever resolve it some other way, disconnect it.

The Nova has a sub out and so far, my only option is to physically switch the RCA inputs on the sub. Thoughts?
Link to S&V Q&A
Nova - Naim Uniti Nova
Anthem - MRX-720 AVR

#3 · (Edited)
@philpoe - Thank you for the reply!

Yes the SB-3000 has dual inputs and SVS confirmed that I could use the Left input for the Naim Nova since both inputs are identical. They also indicated that I could use a Y RCA cable or a stereo to mono converter. I bought both the Y cable and converter to see which I prefer, leaning toward the mono converter. Since the Nova is is not a traditional sub-out, it will be a full-range signal and I'll need to apply a low pass at the sub to blend the speakers.

The Anthem has room correction so I'm not worried about it setting speaker levels but the Naim Nova does not have an EQ so I need to learn how to set the low pass filter and blend the speakers with it.

Here a pic of the stereo to mono converter.

Thanks again.

Mike

#4 · (Edited)
The SB-3000 (like many powered subwoofers) has a low-pass filter built-in, so you may not need to add one.
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000
(search for "low pass filter")

The SB-3000 also has presets, meaning that you can store settings for different usages. Maybe use one for music and one for HT

@philpoe
Since the Nova is is not a traditional sub-out, it will be a full-range signal and I'll need to apply a low pass at the sub to blend the speakers.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm currently using the presets for the SB-3000 (movie/music) for my current setup. Its an extremely handy feature. I need to do more reading on the low pass filters, thanks for the link!

Regarding you second post...I do not have the Nova. I'm currently doing research to see how its going to fit into my system before buying.

I have sent Anthem customer service an email asking how to incorporate the Nova into my system in order to switch back and forth but have not heard back from them.

#5 ·
Why not use your Anthem 720 for handling all your audio, sub and speakers? The amps in the anthem seem probably better than the amps in the Nova anyway. Are you driving a separate set of speakers for music vs movies? One of the benefits of the Anthem is its incredibly awesome handling of virtual inputs and its 4 presets for handing music and movies separately. Perhaps the nova can be a source and its RCA out could feed into the Anthem. Then the anthem can run the speakers and sub and crossovers, sub levels etc.

#6 ·
Per markmon1's question, and after rereading your first post, can you confirm that when you connect the Nova to the Anthem with RCA jacks, do you get sound from the SB-3000 or not?
(I originally read it as a statement of what already occurred, but now I see that it may be speculation about the connection).

If there's no sound from the subwoofer, you may just need to change a setting on the Anthem, to not pass full-range audio to your speakers only, but to let the subwoofer take low-range sound. There's probably a speaker configuration and subwoofer configuration in the manual.
It may be that speakers are defined as "large" or "small". You want the Anthem to see your speakers as "small", to let the sub do some of the work. I'm pretty sure that the Anthem also has preset configurations, so you can switch back and forth from Stereo to HT settings.

If that's true, you don't need any extra connections to the sub, just the RCA jacks.

Why not use your Anthem 720 for handling all your audio, sub and speakers? The amps in the anthem seem probably better than the amps in the Nova anyway. Are you driving a separate set of speakers for music vs movies?
The Nova will be connected to my Anthem multichannel AVR via FL/FR pre-outs and Nova RCA 1 input which has a AV fixed volume input that works similar to a home theater bypass. So, when I play my home theater Anthem AVR, everything would work as normal with the SB-3000 but when when I play the Nova for 2 channel, a signal would not pass through my Anthem AVR so I'm not able to use my sub. Is there a way to be able to use my SB-3000 while playing the Nova? The Nova has a sub out and so far, my only option is to physically switch the RCA inputs on the sub. Thoughts?

#21 ·
@jdsutt & @philpoe - interesting information, I received my Uniti Nova last week and have not tried using the sub out to my SVS SB-3000 as noted above because I've been working on adding surrounds and getting them dialed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.