AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade some of the cheap antenna cables in my house. So, I just bought some RG6 quad shield coax cable, the appropriate connectors for that cable, a rotary stripper, and the compressor tool.

The tools didn't really come with any instructions, and the tutorials I've found online seem to be for crimp connectors or dual shield cable. So I have a few questions.

With Quad shield cable, how many layers of the shield do I want to cut through? Is it necessary to fold the braiding back over the insulation with quad shield as the dual shield instructions show?

Also, I bought some connectors for my RG59 cables to upgrade a few ends until I have time to replace the cables. How should RG59 cables be prepped for the compression type connectors?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
795 Posts
When stripping Quad shield I have always left my stripper on the same adjustment that it's in for stripping dual or tri shield. What happens is that the outer braid gets cut, which IMO is fine. After that you just go and pull back the outer foil and inner braid, making sure the leave the inner foil around the dielectric.

RG-59 should be done the same as RG-6.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After examining my existing cables today, I discovered they are actually RG6 (dual shield) and not the RG59 I originally thought. So, that should save me a lot of work rerunning cables. I just need to install new connectors.

Unfortunately, I bought connectors to fit RG59 and RG6 quad shield. The RG59's are too small, the RG6 quad shield are too big. So, I need to pick up more compression connectors for the regular RG6.

For regular RG6, do I cut through the outer insulation only and fold back the braid?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awatson /forum/post/12950665

After examining my existing cables today, I discovered they are actually RG6 (dual shield) and not the RG59 I originally thought. So, that should save me a lot of work rerunning cables. I just need to install new connectors.

Unfortunately, I bought connectors to fit RG59 and RG6 quad shield. The RG59's are too small, the RG6 quad shield are too big. So, I need to pick up more compression connectors for the regular RG6.

For regular RG6, do I cut through the outer insulation only and fold back the braid?

Thanks,

Anthony

I like using PPC EX6 compression connectors. They are rated for dual or quad shield (tri shield too of course).

For RG-6, yes, you cut off the insulation, leaving the braid. Fold the braid back and make sure to leave the foil around the dielectric.

One thing that I discovered that helps me a lot and might help you: Cutting off the end of coax flattens it out, even when using the appropriate cutters. When stripping, instead of leaving the stripper 1/4" from the end like it recommends, I strip about an inch from the end. The end is flattened, but an inch down where I put the stripper is nice and round. After stripping it I have a long center conductor left over, but that's ok because I put on the F-connector, then snip the center conductor a millimeter past the end of the F-connector.

This has worked out well for me, give it a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so the two braids and the foil folded back over the outer insulation, what happens to them once the compression type connector is fitted? do they enter inside the connector?

·
Registered
17 Posts
HI,

I have a question, I pre ran new RG 6 cables in my house, It only has

one later of brade and shield. I just installed my connectors, I'm using

Thomas and Betts SNS1P6 SnS connectors and just bought a Paladin 1500

series crimper, after stripping and sealing the connector to my cable, I noticed, that I can kind of spin the connector which may be normal but is

it normal for the white part withthe foil to be able to move in and out???

I thought once you compress the connector it should not move at all?

not sure if I did something wrong as it is the first time i'm doing this

Thanks,

ulua

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua /forum/post/16409438

HI, I have a question, I pre ran new RG 6 cables in my house, .....I noticed, that I can kind of spin the connector which may be normal but is it normal for the white part withthe foil to be able to move in and out??? I thought once you compress the connector it should not move at all?Thanks, ulua

its ez to misinterpret things here but it sure sounds like u have a loose connector....which is wrong....it should be 'rock solid' tight after installation, no spin or lateral movement....it must not be grabbing the cables outer jacket nearly as tightly as it should.....

are those connectors listed as compatible with standard rg-6? i suspect not....they might be for a quad or tri-shiled rg-6, which would have a larger outside diameter than what u are using....

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 /forum/post/16414113

its ez to misinterpret things here but it sure sounds like u have a loose connector....which is wrong....it should be 'rock solid' tight after installation, no spin or lateral movement....it must not be grabbing the cables outer jacket nearly as tightly as it should.....

are those connectors listed as compatible with standard rg-6? i suspect not....they might be for a quad or tri-shiled rg-6, which would have a larger outside diameter than what u are using....

thanks for the response, after checking the Thomas n Betts web I think you are right they

may be only for quad and tri-shield rg-6 cable, which connector or brand would you guys

recommend me using??

Thanks,

ulua

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua /forum/post/16414213

thanks for the response, after checking the Thomas n Betts web I think you are right they may be only for quad and tri-shield rg-6 cable, which connector or brand would you guys recommend me using?? Thanks, ulua

well....most any brand of 'crimped on' style connector will work well....dont use the push-on or twist-on type....thats crap...

but....since u already have connectors and the install tool, try this...its an awkward 'cheat' for sure but it may work well enough if u only have a few connectors to do >

strip back double or triple the normal amount of outer cable jacket and 'fold' the resulting very long metal braid material over itself b4 u carefully put on the connector to 'fill in' that gap....if its tight after the compression from the tool, all is well...probably....

good luck

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua /forum/post/16414213

thanks for the response, after checking the Thomas n Betts web I think you are right they

may be only for quad and tri-shield rg-6 cable, which connector or brand would you guys

recommend me using??

Thanks,

ulua

T&B has excellent connectors. They make different connectors for the various types of RG6 (and RG11). What color are the connectors you purchased?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/16414579

T&B has excellent connectors. They make different connectors for the various types of RG6 (and RG11). What color are the connectors you purchased?

they are the blue ones

thanks,

ulua

1 - 12 of 12 Posts