AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old home. It is built around concrete blocks. I just tore down my old wall panneling, and I dont have the traditonal 2x4 or 2x6 studding. So instead of the space the speakers would go in, I have the concrete blocks with a layer of plaster. The old wall board was mounted on 3/4" batonsor furring strips. Any help or direciton on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Matthew

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Matthew-

As you discovered, the design of older homes isn't very conducive to in-wall speakers. Our previous house was the same design, so I've been there. Short of not using in-wall speakers (not sure what your situation is), you might be able to build some sort of soffit for the speakers. Are these rears or surrounds or are they mains or Zone 2 speakers? If they are rears or surrounds, you could build a soffit up towards the ceiling for the speakers, but if they're mains, that ain't gonna work. If you already own the in-walls, why not use them elsewhere and go with surface-mounted speakers instead?

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply brother. Seems like this may be a tough thing for me. Actually 2 pairs are going into the room. Front and rears. My whole house is old school, and except for the attic, which will not get finsihed for another 2 years, is all masonray based walls. BEcause of the small size of the rooms (except living room) Even the smallest speakers mountred out side of the wall would dwarf and detract for the room that I am creating. I was actually thinking about it at work, and I'm thinking that I could build an enclosure for it and attatch it to the masonary wall The speakers require 3.5 inches of depth, so with the furring strip and the dry wall th at would leave about 2 inches of over hang from the drywall. Then perhaps I could frame it in the same slope as the frame for the speaker that comes with it, and make 2 frames seemless as one. At least that is what I"m planning on right now. I'm going to call Infinty here shortly to see what I would need to best enclose a wall speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.