AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My HT room is in my basement, and a portion of the ceiling is uninsulated (apparently whoever built it didn't want to insulate under the bathroom, which covers ~1/3 of my HT ceiling). And of course whenever someone takes a shower, it is very loud. What is the best way to get some insulation up there? I really do not want to pull down the very nice plaster ceiling if I can avoid it. I see that they now sell a new form of the "Great Stuff" spray can insulation, which is designed to fill large cavities. Could I drill holes in the ceiling and spray it in there, and could it harm the recessed lights (they are the type designed for insulation contact). Another option is to somehow get some sort of insulation squeezed through the 1-1/2" gap between the joists and ceiling (they used 2x4s as strapping).

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!

TIA

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,633 Posts
In my attic I have blown about insulation. Romex electrical cable (no conduit) is buried all over the place and several recessed light fixtures are covered. All 12 houses built on my street by this builder are still standing 12 years later.

When you do the ceiling I think you want to snake the hose down to the other end and slowly pull it back across the ceiling as it fills the cavity. Keep in mind this will help with sound but it won't silence the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.