AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to buy a JVC D-Theater unit. In addition to the usual DVD and sat TV capabilities, I'll want to accommodate DirecTV HDTV. I don't yet have a scaler, but I'm considering the new Focus Enhancements unit, if reviews are encouraging, or maybe Vigatec or NR or Rock. I believe that most of those scalers have a single hi def passthrough. I have an Electrohome 9500LC - yet to be activated - as my display device.

What are my options for hooking everything up? Can you simply feed the scaler's output to a JVC input and handle it like a regular VCR? Is there a way to feed the D-Theater output to a hi def input on the 9500LC? I would like to stay away from an additional switcher but have to be able to handle the two hi def signals.

Another consideration is that whatever I do, it will need to be controllable by a Crestron system.

Craig

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Craig,

I think I'm in the same position. I have a Runco scaler that has a single pass through for HD. The answer seems to be a switcher for the two HD sources then DVD into the component input on the scaler. A second DVD player for intros etc can be run into and switched using the svideo on the scaler. I'm sure there are other options but this appears to be the one I'm going to use.

Art

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Craig,

Does your 9500LC have the two RGBHV inputs? If it does you could plug the JVC into a transcoder like the Key Digital unit and change the HD component into an RGBHV signal, then feed it to your projector's second RGBHV input. That's what I do and all works fine.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave:

Thanks for the information. Is it pretty easy to set it up so that you can switch between projector inputs with a remote control?

Craig

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Craig,

Yes. The projector's remote will easily switch between inputs. One thing you can do is set up "channels" in your 9500. e.g.: "Channel 1" is input one with your scaler connected there, and "channel 2" is the second input, which would be the JVC through the KD transcoder.

Just go to "Utilities", then #2 - "Channel lists" to set up channels.

Feel free to email or call me if you need more in-depth help:)!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.