Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I have a mitsubishi X70 projector that I'm trying to integrate better with my AV system.

The projector has a manual "on/off" switch to completely shut down the system (when its on, the fan runs at slow speed so I'd rather not leave it on all the time).

What are my best options for powering on/off this unit remotely? I was thinking of using a macro on a remote to shut down lamp, and then shut down the system completely after like 5-10minutes.

X10 outlet?

What would be the most professional/stable approach... ideally I would like this system shielded by a battery backup system as with the rest of my equipment so not sure if X10 is an option.

Thank you for any suggestions!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The professional approach would be to control the projector via RS-232. It would be a very bad idea to use X-10 unless you have a sophisticated control system. The unit needs its fan to run until a specific internal temperature is reached. How were you planning to time the 10 minutes before turning off the outlet? You can try a IR to 232 converter; Xantech makes one of these.

Alan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions about the RS232 and the Xantech interface...

What I was thinking of doing was using a Pronto with an RF converter and stick on optical eyes on the projector.

The projector has a power on/off (soft touch button) to turn the lamp on and off...

But theres an actual hard power button to turn the entire system on or off (and shut down the idle fan that runs constantly).

I have no issues with controlling the soft power button remotely, but was trying to shut down the entire system (only possible by pressing the hard on/off button..)

Is that possible by RS232? (I know the lamp on/off button is..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Nope. But you will be able to use discrete power and input select commands and if you had the proper control system you could base your logic on the feed back from the projector.

And how were you going to calculate your 5-10 minute delay with a pronto?

Alan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I haven't purchased the pronto yet I was looking to do some research and hopefully I can come up with something thats ideal...

I'm in the midst of relocating all of my equipment....

I was hoping the Pronto was able to setup a macro that would allow me to specifiy a "timed 120 seconds". And if it was using RF, it wouldn't matter if the controller was in direct IR sight.

I was just reading they have "remote RS-232 power switches", perhaps I can use this along with RS-232 control of the projector. This would be good because I can use this on the other side of the APC power backup without problem.

My main goal is to relocate all the equipment into a rack (out of sight), automate the "on/off" so visitors can actually watch tv and turn off the system without destroying anything (IE, unplugging the projector because they can't find the power button!). And utilize a universal remote like the pronto.

A flat panel control Creston-esq wouldn't be bad either (along with the remote)

Just need to find something to integrate all of these components/requirements. My needs are simple but it seems a pain to integrate it with the projector requirements.

I'm integrating:

HK AVR520

HK DVD Player

Sony 400 disc CD

Mitsubishi X70 projector

Replay TV

TWC HD cable box

Electric Projection screen

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I could not recommend a Crestron solution more. If I had to select a universal remote I would pick the MX 500, 700, 800 from Universal Remote Control. I am not a fan of Prontos but you will find that I am in a minority on this forum in this respect. I prefer a remote that can be operated with one hand and if I must have a touch panel then I want a control system to go along with it. I want to use RS-232, IR and status and be able to use conditional logic as part of my program. As you are in NYC and you have stated you desire to relocate your equipment into a rack how do you intend to automate you Time-Warner Cable box? There are no discrete power commands for this so it cannot be successfully automated with a Pronto but it can with Crestron.

There is a price difference but it is not as great as you might think. And if you used a 30 button remote it would be very close to the Pronto. But while this would work I would recommend the new Crestron MX500 that will be on the market shortly or one of the ST-1700s. And with Crestron you could set up a macro with a 10-15 minute delay.

But again we are speaking of equipment when we should be speaking about the individual or Company installing your equipment. Who knows, perhaps there is some Pronto maven who could make a pronto control your equipment in the way you want. Years ago I programmed an IR keypad to turn the internal speakers of a SONY TV on and off. So many things are possible albeit not advisable. I think with your system you should think about Crestron and especially someone who knows how to program a Crestron system.

But perhaps someone with more intimate knowledge of Prontos might tell me if you can program a 10 minute delay into a macro on a Pronto? I do not think you can but I may be in error.

Alan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, upon further thinking, I couldn't agree more with your "one hand to operate" remote controls. Thats the one thing that I don't really like about the Pronto. The output of the Pronto NG is slow, and I'll probably find myself using a standard remote to change channels, I'm sure.

As far as Crestron Integration, I would be taking it up as a side project. I'm an IT integrator so I'm familiar with learning new technology and implementing it. Was thinking of going with some used equipment from Ebay.

I see they also have a power switch that is controllable via the Crestron, so it would make even more sense to go with this system.

Any suggestions as far as a system processor are concerned? I figure if I choose one of those, a touchpanel (wired or wireless), and a switched power add-on I would be in business....

Thanks again,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You can download Simple Windows from Crestron but you may not like its syntax. It's an object oriented language so it is very different form what you are probably used to. But give it a go. I would take a look at the MX-500,700,800 from Universal Remote Control. It can do everything the Pronto can save the cool graphics. But it's an ergonomics are superior and it will not run through batteries as fast. But as an IR remote you will still have issues with cable boxes and anything requiring RS-232, 422,485.

Alan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was fooling around with SIMPLE windows today, not bad at all....

Just deciding what Control system to go with. Since my needs are simple and I'm not looking to do A/V switching with the Crestron (plan to do that with the HK AV520).. any suggestion/pitfalls with what Control system to go with?

I See a CMSII on ebay right now which seems to serve my basic needs. I dont know what benefit the newer systems would offer

"me" other than Ethernet, faster processor and SIMPLE+ which don't really matter to me as a Crestron newbie.

Do all touch screen integrate with other older systems?

A fixed touchpanel is fine for now once all my A/V equipment is relocated.

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
CNMSII make wonderful boat anchors. There are a ton of features it lacks and don't denigrate the inability of a CNMS to accept Simple+ code. Any parsing of data you will do will probably be with Simpl+. I like to list astronomical time clock data ( dusk and dawn ) on touch panels and for reasons we do not need to go into here you need to use Simpl+ to do it accurately.

There are severe limitations on the com port buffer size of a CNMS. It wall not accept analog inputs on its DIO. You need to stagger IR codes form macros ( you can fire all ir ports at same time on 2 series. 2 series handles indirect text faster- you do not have to resort to DPA and SDPA symbols.

You may be able to find an X generation on ebay and that might be worth it. I think I know of a dealer who has one he wants to get rid of ( he upgraded his client to 2 series so every job would have the same code )But the price of a new MP2 is about 1000-1200 retail including a RF gateway. If you do not need the gateway the MP2E has the Ethernet port and don't underestimate its usefulness, especially as TCP/IP controllable devices and systems become more popular. It's much more expensive that what a CNMS costs on ebay but.....

I believe the new crop of HK receivers can be controlled RS-232 but it is a stupid code set. There are ways of integrating new touch panels on to a CNMS. It is too technical for this forum-unless someone wants to start a thread on this topic. If you are really interested you can PM me.

Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.