AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically use my HTPC as a DVD/music server. It's only on when I'm using it but now I'd like to try it as a DVR. How do you guys setup your systems to be able to pop on when the PC is set to record a TV show then go back off or to sleep when done? Is it a sleep mode setting of some kind? I'm in the dark on this one. I'd leave it on all the time but I have a slight heat issue which I plan to address soon. It would be nice for the PC to be in a sleep mode at all times. My system is currently using Windows XP Pro, and MyHTPC. I might move to Win XP Media Center Edition 2005 to cover the DVR function. As for video cards I currently have an ATI AIW 9700 Pro, and a yet to be installed ATI HDTV Wonder card. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Typically the software for the HDTV card deals with it. The Fusion software seems to have fewer options in this regard, but it does have an option I use for turning the computer off. It works for me because it has an option to allow you to set a specfic program to shut down after it records. I have it shut down each night after The Tonight Show. That's better than the option on the MyHD card which is either to go into standby after each recording or after the last recording. For the reason stated below, I've not tried each of these a great deal, but the problem I see with "after each recording" is you could be doing something else on your computer, and not want it to shut down. For "After last recording" that would never kick in if you have a recurring (daily, weekly) scheduled recording.

The MyHD card will send the machine into standby, and in theory it will resume from standby. My machine won't resume however.

I have no idea what the ATI card does. You might want to ask in the ATI card thread.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I would put the computer in standby mode all the time instead of shutting it down. If I'm using it as a DVR it has to be able to power up to record right? It won't do that if I turn it completely off?

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah you have to have it in standby, and some software might be able to wake it up when it's time to record. I am not aware of which, I use BTV and it does not do that yet, though they say they are working on it.

You'd also want to enable wake up from USB (somewhere in the control panel) so you can click your mouse button to wake it up when you want to watch something.

I just leave mine on all the time, it's much easier. As long as you have quiet components you won't hear it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
yeah you have to have it in standby, and some software might be able to wake it up when it's time to record.
Not software - hardware. As you go on to say:

Quote:
You'd also want to enable wake up from USB
This is an example of hardware wakeup. Some PVR cards have hardware wakeup ability. You need SOMETHING that can issue the wakeup signal, because when the computer is in standby mode, the CPU if not processing any instructions, so no software can possibly wake it up.

-Kevin

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by khauser
You need SOMETHING that can issue the wakeup signal, because when the computer is in standby mode, the CPU if not processing any instructions, so no software can possibly wake it up.
Not necessarilly true, Sage 2.1 has the capability now. It will set a timer to have the PC wake some specified time before the next scheduled recording.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Showshifter also has the capability of putting the computer into standby and then waking it for a recording.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will probably give WMCE 2005 a shot. I currently use MyHTPC but setup can be a bit of a pain. It works nicely now for what I am using it for but I want to add my ATI HDTV Wonder card to my system for HD recording.

I've never used suspend mode before and I have some heat issues with my HTPC being on for long periods of time (usually when under load while transfering large files to the HTPC not while playing the files). In suspend mode would the PC get warm or is it basically off with minimal power going to it waiting for a signal to wake it up?

I'm going to work on the heat issue soon but first I have to re-configure my water cooling setup on my gaming rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.