AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Does anybody know if it is possible to find out what audio signal (bitrate/frequency) the pc is outputting to an amplifier? Encountered the question on this forum a couple of times, but could not find an answer.

The issue is:

I am playing HDDVD in PDVD with with sound through an HD4850 and cannot hear the difference between DD+ and Dolby TrueHD. Not claiming that the difference will be huge on my installation, but it seems to me it should surely be noticable. So..I would like to make sure what signal my amplifier is receiving.

It is a Marantz SR7001 which only shows if a signal is stereo, 5.1/7.1 DD, DTS etc (none of the HD formats and no frequency/bitrate). The sound is arriving there in 5.1 LPCM (PDVD set to HDMI, Vista to 5.1 speaker). When switching the sound of a disc, e.g. Batman Begins/Blade Runner, from the DD+ to the TrueHD track, I see in the PDVD information screen that the output bitrate changes to about 4Mb/s, only no noticable difference....to me.

I believe PDVD to be outputting the correct stream, but as it cannot take exclusive right on the audio device I don't trust Vista not to be messing up with the sound after it "leaves" PDVD.

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggies666 /forum/post/15555347

Hi All

Does anybody know if it is possible to find out what audio signal (bitrate/frequency) the pc is outputting to an amplifier? Encountered the question on this forum a couple of times, but could not find an answer.

The issue is:

I am playing HDDVD in PDVD with with sound through an HD4850 and cannot hear the difference between DD+ and Dolby TrueHD. Not claiming that the difference will be huge on my installation, but it seems to me it should surely be noticable. So..I would like to make sure what signal my amplifier is receiving.

It is a Marantz SR7001 which only shows if a signal is stereo, 5.1/7.1 DD, DTS etc (none of the HD formats and no frequency/bitrate). The sound is arriving there in 5.1 LPCM (PDVD set to HDMI, Vista to 5.1 speaker). When switching the sound of a disc, e.g. Batman Begins/Blade Runner, from the DD+ to the TrueHD track, I see in the PDVD information screen that the output bitrate changes to about 4Mb/s, only no noticable difference....to me.

I believe PDVD to be outputting the correct stream, but as it cannot take exclusive right on the audio device I don't trust Vista not to be messing up with the sound after it "leaves" PDVD.

Thnx in advance

No matter what you do your current software player is going to down convert the audio to 48 Khz and 16 bit while using the ATI 4850. However, that really is not that big of a deal because it is still full bit-rate 48 Khz 16 bit audio as opposed to a compressed format like mp3. And not to mention most discs are 48 Khz 16 Bit anyway.

Also, the difference between DD+ and True-HD are pretty slim anyway. However, the difference between regular 340 Kbps DD(What is on a DVD) and True-HD is night and day. I thought almost all HD-DVDs were DD+ and not True-HD. In fact, I can not think of a single one that had both DD+ and True-HD. Are you sure you are playing DD+ and True-HD from the same HD-DVD disc?

Anyway, if you really want to get the best sound possible and not worry about any down-converting at all then the ASUS HDAV HDMI 1.3 sound card is your only option that will bitstream DTS-MA and DD-True-HD without any audio conversion at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15555529

Also, the difference between DD+ and True-HD are pretty slim anyway. However, the difference between regular 340 Kbps DD(What is on a DVD) and True-HD is night and day. I thought almost all HD-DVDs were DD+ and not True-HD. In fact, I can not think of a single one that had both DD+ and True-HD. Are you sure you are playing DD+ and True-HD from the same HD-DVD disc?

Anyway, if you really want to get the best sound possible and not worry about any down-converting at all then the ASUS HDAV HDMI 1.3 sound card is your only option that will bitstream DTS-MA and DD-True-HD without any audio conversion at all.

Both Batman Begins and Blade Runner have 2 English audio tracks, the DD+ and the TrueHD.

Downconvert is at this moment indeed an "issue", though a small one, as a lot of discs are not above 48/16 yet (at least my HDDVDs are not). That is one reason not to go to HDAV or Autzentech yet, the extra quality would not be utilised. My amplifier also does not support bitstream, so it has to be a PCM stream, which the Asus does of course, so it could be an option for the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts