AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I've looked around the forums but can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to my question. My apologies if I've overlooked a previous thread.

I am in the process of upgrading my hifi/AV system. I have:

Kenwood KRF-A4030 Receiver (old, but does the trick)

Behringer UCA202 DAC

Q Acoustics 2020i Bookshelf Speakers

BK XLS200 Subwoofer

50% music 50% movies

Room size 5x6m

The subwoofer will be delivered this week, and I'm excited! My question is, since I will most likely be connecting the sub via Pre-Out from the reciever, I will not be able to high pass filter the 2020i's. The sub has a speaker level input, but no output. The listed frequency response of the 2020i is something like 63hz at the low end, but I want to limit them to 80 or 100hz, so as to let the sub take care of the low end and free the mid/bass driver up for what it does best. What is the best way (on a budget) to do this?

I have seen a few inline capacitors but am not quite sure what to look for. Should I be looking into an external crossover unit or is there an affordable inline solution? I have already spent more than my budget this past month on the speakers, DAC and sub, so I don't want to spend very much.

On the other hand, does anyone have a similar kit with some input? Will I be improving the performance of my 2020i's much by limiting the low end output, or should I just leave it as is? If so, what would be a good crossover setting for the XLS200? Should I set it at 80hz and have the 63-80hz overlap or would it be better to set the sub at around 60 or 65?

Lastly, would it be wise to connect the sub via pre-out or should I be using the high level inputs from the B channel from my receiver?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. It's my first "audiophile" level system and I want to make the most of it.

Thanks for the help!!!

Alex

·
Registered
30,747 Posts

The easiest solution would have been to buy a sub with the necessary output options you are asking about.  Is that still an option?

I do not know of any off--the-shelf passive options except to try some of those in-line capacitors.

Use the pre outs for the sub.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
You can use Bass Blockers, which are barely adequate, but better than nothing. An electronic crossover is much better, but for another $100 you can get a 5.1 receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the replies. Changing the subwoofer is not an option, as it has already shipped. I put a lot of time and research into choosing the sub, and am sure I will be happy with the decision. My main concern, however, is that with my room size the XLS200 won't be breathtaking and I will wish I'd gone for the XLS400, but my budget is stretched as it is (I was originally considering the Gemini, Wharfedale SW150 and Boston Acoustics ASW250 which where what I WANTED to spend, but after lots of research decided to spring for the XLS200). I hope I won't be disappointed. None of these BK subs have high level outputs (?), and I didn't want to settle for a sub based only on this feature.

So if there aren't any good and inexpensive inline high pass filters out there, can anyone recommend a budget external crossover? There are lots of types of crossovers out there, and I don't know exactly what I need to look for. Any tips?

Again, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this extra step will be worth it?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You can use a line out/in on your receiver and use something like these

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

But won't that filter all the signals, including what goes to my sub? I want the full range to feed to my sub, which it will low pass filter according to the frequency at which I set it, so I don't want to high pass filter the audio before it goes into my receiver??? Am I misunderstanding these things?

Ideally what I want is something I can put inline on the speaker cables running from my receiver to my mains. Is there an FMOD type filter that can do this?

Back to crossovers. Ones like the Behringer CX2310 don't seem to fulfill my needs. These look like they only deal with XLR connections, not speaker cable. What sort of crossover would I need to integrate into my setup? (e.g. Active, Passive, Digital, etc...)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your receiver may well work that way - too bad.

Like Bill said, you could use Bass Blockers on the speaker cables (not great).

Or, take back your comment from your first post
Quote:
(old, but does the trick)

as it appears to not do the trick, and get a newer AVR with proper bass management.

Sorry...

Have you used REW to see if you are getting a big boost in the lower frequencies? The natural roll-off of your speakers and playing with the sub crossover may be the only thing to keep you from needing a newer AVR.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkilo  /t/1524082/how-to-limit-frequency-range-to-bookshelf-speakers#post_24523951

But won't that filter all the signals, including what goes to my sub? I want the full range to feed to my sub, which it will low pass filter according to the frequency at which I set it, so I don't want to high pass filter the audio before it goes into my receiver??? Am I misunderstanding these things?

Ideally what I want is something I can put inline on the speaker cables running from my receiver to my mains. Is there an FMOD type filter that can do this?

Back to crossovers. Ones like the Behringer CX2310 don't seem to fulfill my needs. These look like they only deal with XLR connections, not speaker cable. What sort of crossover would I need to integrate into my setup? (e.g. Active, Passive, Digital, etc...)

You can buy this whole new AVR with decent bass management for less money than many stand-alone crossovers.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html#!specifications

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkilo  /t/1524082/how-to-limit-frequency-range-to-bookshelf-speakers#post_24523951

I've heard mixed reviews about the audio quality of some of the FMODs.

As the others have said, better to wait until you can afford an AVR with bass management.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok, then let's change the topic a bit. Can anyone recommend any decent budget receivers with bass management? As a side note, I live in Germany so refurb offers from US dealers aren't an option. Budget would then be around 150 to 200 euro. I don't need 5.1. I'm fine with 2.1. All I need is an option which allows me to filter/crossover my signal to the mains.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkilo  /t/1524082/how-to-limit-frequency-range-to-bookshelf-speakers#post_24524237

Ok, then let's change the topic a bit. Can anyone recommend any decent budget receivers with bass management? As a side note, I live in Germany so refurb offers from US dealers aren't an option. Budget would then be around 150 to 200 euro. I don't need 5.1. I'm fine with 2.1. All I need is an option which allows me to filter/crossover my signal to the mains.

5.1 is apt to be less expensive than 2.1.

Do you have something like craigslist to look for used? You can probably find a great deal from some upgrade addict that is selling off a two year old unit.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Any audio/video receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Harman Kardon will all have bass management. It's a standard feature on AVRs. But you need an AVR, not a stereo receiver, to get bass management (very, very rare on stereo receivers).

·
Registered
30,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1524082/how-to-limit-frequency-range-to-bookshelf-speakers#post_24524314

Any audio/video receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Harman Kardon will all have bass management. It's a standard feature on AVRs. But you need an AVR, not a stereo receiver, to get bass management (very, very rare on stereo receivers).
Exactly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts