AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver and I use either my Xbox 360 or PS3 to play music CD's via HDMI connection. I have a Mirage 5.1 sound system that I am listening through.

When I play music, it is only coming through the front 3 speakers and the subwoofer. I would like to listen to the music through all 5.1 speakers. I know it's not the correct way to listen to the music, but is that possible? I could have sworn I have done it before, but I can't remember how for the life of me.

Is that not possible through HDMI? Do I need to add an optical audio cable to my setup to achieve this? Or is it just a simple setting on my Xbox 360/PS3 or my Onkyo that I am missing? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Your Onkyo should have a setting for "All CH Stereo" which is exactly what it sounds like, or you can use "PLII Music", or "NEO:6 Music" to get a 5.1 type of experience.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/15456103

Your Onkyo should have a setting for "All CH Stereo" which is exactly what it sounds like, or you can use "PLII Music", or "NEO:6 Music" to get a 5.1 type of experience.

I know I am responding way late, but I can't access those settings for some reason. I can't get anything but the front 2 speakers and the subwoofer to work.

I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI. What can I be doing wrong?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any help? The only settings my Onkyo will allow me to select is "Stereo". It won't allow me to select anything else for some reason. Is this a PS3 settings issue?

·
Registered
309 Posts
On your receiver remote you should have a section labeled listening mode. You should then see a button labeled music. While listening to music on your ps3 you should be able to change the settings and cycle through various music modes PL II, NEO 6, STEREO,ALL CHANNEL ETC..If I remember right you are only going to get dolby digital read out on your 604 when using HDMI through the xbox360 which is only going to be the left right center and sub playing anything.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 /forum/post/15625713

On your receiver remote you should have a section labeled listening mode. You should then see a button labeled music. While listening to music on your ps3 you should be able to change the settings and cycle through various music modes PL II, NEO 6, STEREO,ALL CHANNEL ETC..If I remember right you are only going to get dolby digital read out on your 604 when using HDMI through the xbox360 which is only going to be the left right center and sub playing anything.

Hi, thank you for your response! I don't have a music button on my remote. I also can't cycle through the listening modes while a music CD is playing. When a movie or TV is playing I can cycle through the listening modes however.

Do you think this comes down to the PS3 settings?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
This is a known PS3 issue. Go find it in the PS3 Bluray player section.

The PS3 by default puts out 5.1 with only the two front channel active for a stereo source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts