AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for such a beginner level question but I am unable to find any documentation on this.

How do I place test pattern files so that when i load up the test pattern generator it will load those files? all i see under sensors is 'automatic' and 'dvd manual.'

do i place the files into the HCFR folder? thanks in advance

essentially i want to use these files for hdr calibration on hcfr
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m4IBq0euAxamL9ePgfdFuf8_5nLcRwHA

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sorry for such a beginner level question but I am unable to find any documentation on this.

How do I place test pattern files so that when i load up the test pattern generator it will load those files? all i see under sensors is 'automatic' and 'dvd manual.'

do i place the files into the HCFR folder? thanks in advance

essentially i want to use these files for hdr calibration on hcfr
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m4IBq0euAxamL9ePgfdFuf8_5nLcRwHA
You would choose DVD Manual as your generator, and have to manually launch the files to take the readings.
On automatic sequence runs, HCFR will prompt you to load the appropriate pattern.

You can however use the built-in pattern generator, or madTPG to make your life easier. This assumes you have an HDR capable laptop/PC.

As @Rolls-Royce said, you're probably better off asking for help in the main HCFR thread.

Happy calibrating!
CFC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You would choose DVD Manual as your generator, and have to manually launch the files to take the readings.
On automatic sequence runs, HCFR will prompt you to load the appropriate pattern.

You can however use the built-in pattern generator, or madTPG to make your life easier. This assumes you have an HDR capable laptop/PC.

As @Rolls-Royce said, you're probably better off asking for help in the main HCFR thread.

Happy calibrating!
CFC
how would you load the test pattern files onto madTPG? I have madTPG and i can enable HDR with my laptop using Windows 10, but there is no documentation on how to ADD test pattern files onto madTPG.

Essentially all I want to do is add test pattern files beyond what HCFR provides by default.

Also, for HDR calibration, does it need its own specific set of colors? Or is it the same colors as SDR calibration, RGBCYMW?

i have a raspberry pi arriving today and want a bit-perfect test pattern setup, but not knowing how to use any TPG is frustrating to say the least... i'd say its the biggest weakest link when it comes to calibration.

btw, is there a discord or any live chat system that calibrators have a place to go to? extremely 20th century method of communication if its just forums!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
how would you load the test pattern files onto madTPG? I have madTPG and i can enable HDR with my laptop using Windows 10, but there is no documentation on how to ADD test pattern files onto madTPG.

Essentially all I want to do is add test pattern files beyond what HCFR provides by default.

Also, for HDR calibration, does it need its own specific set of colors? Or is it the same colors as SDR calibration, RGBCYMW?

i have a raspberry pi arriving today and want a bit-perfect test pattern setup, but not knowing how to use any TPG is frustrating to say the least... i'd say its the biggest weakest link when it comes to calibration.

btw, is there a discord or any live chat system that calibrators have a place to go to? extremely 20th century method of communication if its just forums!
You can't "add" those to a TPG of any sort. They are standalone test patterns, already encoded with metadata. You play them for manual calibration as you would a DVD.

There is no shortcut to learning these things. There is too much variability in displays for a "one size fits all" approach.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't "add" those to a TPG of any sort. They are standalone test patterns, already encoded with metadata. You play them for manual calibration as you would a DVD.
how would I go about testing the patterns in an automated way like it does on calman/hcfr for instance?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
how would I go about testing the patterns in an automated way like it does on calman/hcfr for instance?
You can't. They are for manual operation only. The software will tell you what kind of pattern it wants, you find and display it, and hit "OK" .

Reactions: CFC

·
Registered
864 Posts
HCFR/Calman themselves generate the appropriate test patterns for your calibration, by either using their built-in TPG (output from laptop/PC directly), or a separately connected TPG like PGenerator, or the fancy Murideo ones.
You can use the downloaded patterns in manual mode to verify that they match up with your calibration.

I think you probably need to do a bit more reading and research.
Have fun with it.

CFC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts