AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently there are not official speakOn Y splitters. I found a post from LTD02 from many years ago, but the pics are gone. I am fairly ignorant of how to connect wires beyond banana plugs and ethernet crimp ons.

I have 12 and 14 guage wire on the way, is or as simple as screwing two wires into a male end and attach it to the back of an inuke nx6000d? Will the fittings fit two wires?

What about running a 12guage cable for 35ft, then splitting to 2x 14guage cables for a 10ft run each? How would I make the actual connection?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any videos or pics how to do that? I don't have any experience and all the videos i found were just how to put speakOn ends on. The word splice just shows videos how to extend a cable. What is the best/most secure way to make a high quality Y connection?

Happy 4th all!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Depending on the layout, you can splice 2 cables to one (simple: All the + together and all the - together) as mhutchins showed. Or you can put 2 SpeakOns on one box, both wired to the driver, and build a "normal" cable to run from one of those to the other box.

Describe your intended layout and drivers, there may be other alternatives.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,444 Posts
Any videos or pics how to do that? I don't have any experience and all the videos i found were just how to put speakOn ends on. The word splice just shows videos how to extend a cable. What is the best/most secure way to make a high quality Y connection?

Happy 4th all!
Simply follow the video on how to put "speakOn ends on" except for your case, use 2 sets of cables not one and twist the wires together on one end. After that end is on, you'll have 2 wires dangling from it. Now follow the video again on how to attach ends on each of the remaining cables.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Depending on the layout, you can splice 2 cables to one (simple: All the + together and all the - together) as mhutchins showed. Or you can put 2 SpeakOns on one box, both wired to the driver, and build a "normal" cable to run from one of those to the other box.

Describe your intended layout and drivers, there may be other alternatives.
I have 4x SI Ht18d4 and an inuke nx6000d. I read I should do parallel and serial to get each woofer ~1000w. (A&B channel get 2 subs each.) I have one full marty built and am gluing the second now to run off of channel A. I wired the first full marty on the speakOn +1 & -1. So I believe I need to set the inuke limiter to 2200w, use a 12g cable out of the inuke and split the cable closer to the subwoofers. But I don't know how to physically make a Y splitter. I am thinking it is like a plumbing or hvac wye, where a larger feeder would reduce to two smaller lines to supply the final load.

Simply follow the video on how to put "speakOn ends on" except for your case, use 2 sets of cables not one and twist the wires together on one end. After that end is on, you'll have 2 wires dangling from it. Now follow the video again on how to attach ends on each of the remaining cables.
I don't have an issue if the consensus is to run 2x cables from a single terminal to two terminals. But all suggestions I can find are that two 14guage cable are too large to do that with a speakOn connector. Is this ok? Does anyone have proof of concept I can see to mimic?

It seems those lost photos from LTD02 are the missing piece I need to conplete the wires. Not just a high level diagram to convey a concept, but how to actually make the connection.

Do I crimp it? Solder it? Use a nut like romex cable? Many sources say "high quality connection" what does that actually mean for a novice to actually connect two cables to a single source?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
But I don't know how to physically make a Y splitter.
rfbrang said:
I don't have an issue if the consensus is to run 2x cables from a single terminal to two terminals. But all suggestions I can find are that two 14guage cable are too large to do that with a speakOn connector. Is this ok? Does anyone have proof of concept I can see to mimic?
You're not going to get multiple speaker cables into a single SpeakOn connector point, they're too small for that.

rfbrang said:
Do I crimp it? Solder it? Use a nut like romex cable? Many sources say "high quality connection" what does that actually mean for a novice to actually connect two cables to a single source?
Yes? Yes? and Yes? Any of those methods will work. "High quality connection" is one that a) makes the connection and b) lasts. Don't overthink it.

Here's one method I used recently, all crimp connectors with a single female to dual male spade connections such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Single-Female-Disconnect-Terminal-Adapter/dp/B07MMW9F1Z

More elegant would be dual NL4MPR on each box and just your standard single SpeakOn on either end cable to go between the boxes, which I have also done.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
You're not going to get multiple speaker cables into a single SpeakOn connector point, they're too small for that.
Dunno but I had no problems on fitting two 11AWG ends into a single connector. I just cut half of the strands off, twisted the ends together and outfitted em with wire-end ferrules. I made a 4x11AWG cable into 2x8AWG since it's very long (100ft). The outer diameter of the cable is about half an inch.
They can take up to ~10AWG without modification.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Dunno but I had no problems on fitting two 11AWG ends into a single connector. I just cut half of the strands off, twisted the ends together and outfitted em with wire-end ferrules.
Had not occurred to me to remove strands from each, there's yet another option for the OP!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I like heat shrink so here is how I would do it. I will assume you are using insulated crimp connectors. I would use the yellow 10-12awg size butt splice connector.

1. Place a piece of 6" piece of heatshrink over the #12 cable that has a diameter large enough to cover both #14 cables and slide this about a foot up the #12 cable.
  2. Strip the sleeve of the #12 cable to expose about 2" of the wires inside.
  3. Trim 1 wire 3/4 shorter than the other. We'll call this the positive wire.
  4. Now strip the appropriate length of insulation off both wires, as specified on the package for your connectors.
  5. Do steps 2-4 for both #14 wires, except, trim the negative wire 3/4" short. The purpose of this is to offset the two butt splice connections so that the cable doesn't have a big bulge from the connectors. You may need to adjust the offset slightly to match the length of the connectors you use.
  6. Now crimp the #12 positive wire in one butt connector and slide 2 #14 positive wires into the other end of the connector and perform the crimp.
  7. Do the same as above for the negative wires.
  8. Center the heat shrink over the splice connectors and shrink it in position to hide all the wires so only the cables go in and out of the heat shrink.
  9. Admire your work, test it to make sure it works, then enjoy an adult beverage!

Here is a link to a video showing 3 different splicing techniques.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts