AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea. I did this, and have no idea what the effect would be if we all did it.

Called up DTV Customer Service. Cancelled by HBO and Showtime subscription through the touchpad interface. Send an email to their programming email web page. The email read:

"I have just cancelled my HBO and Showtime suscriptions with you as punishment for your not carrying ESPN-HD. I will renew these services (and their revenue to you) when you carry (actually deliver - not announce) ESPN-HD".

If 500 or a 1000 of us do this, it might shake them hard enough for them to get off of the dime.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
292 Posts
No thanks Bernd,

I have no interest in 'punishing' D* when Disney/ESPN can't seem to make a deal with anyone. In a few years their will be no ESPN and ESPNHD. There will only be ESPNHD and anyone who cannot handle HD will see a down-converted product. ESPN is not required to do HD, but they know if they don't someone else will (such as HDNet). So I will pass on paying for ESPN to keep their equipment up to date and current with the times.

Instead why don't we email ESPN and remind them their 'Revolution in Resolution' is more like Evolution and it does no one any good if they can't see it.

http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

I would much rather 'punish' premium providers (like Starz) who show no interest in moving to HD broadcasts and 'reward' those who do (HBO & Showtime).

Joe

PS I don't mean to cr*p on your thread, but I think that view is short sighted and will hurt us in the long run.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Called up DTV Customer Service. Cancelled by HBO and Showtime subscription through the touchpad interface. Send an email to their programming email web page. The email read:

"I have just cancelled my HBO and Showtime suscriptions with you as punishment for your not carrying ESPN-HD. I will renew these services (and their revenue to you) when you carry (actually deliver - not announce) ESPN-HD".
If you enjoy HBO and Showtime then aren't you actually punishing yourself?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I admit that therein lies the flaw in this plan. However, after having subscribed to them, I find that I do not have the time to watch movies on their schedule very often (rarely is a movie that I want to watch on at a time slot that I have available to watch it). So, I personally am giving up very little and figured that it was worth busting DTV a little bit to give them a bit of motivation. Obviously, if you greatly enjoy their HD offerings and watch them frequently, then my idea is not a good one for you.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I am actullay happy and disapointed at the same time. I am happy that Directv and others are not caving in for what could be a ridiculous amount of money for programing that already exists I don't believe we should have to pay a premium ESPN decide that it was a business decision to keep them in forfront in years to come. However I am disappointed that the channel is not available to us yet and know that with time it will be. I think we all need to be a litlle patient which is not one of my virtues but in the end hopefully it will work out for everyone involved especially us the consumers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I called up D* today and ended my HBO service before this thread started, I told them that all I had HBO for was the HD channel and that $12 a month was not worth it for 1 HD channel. I told them that when they get a real HD package I will subscribe to it, I just dont care for HBO's movie selection anyways, most of the good movies I see in a theater to experience a big screen viewing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had direct contact with key executives at both ESPN and DIRECTV. IMHO, I believe the pressure needs to be placed on DIRECTV. After all, we are their customers. We pay them!!! If we vote with our wallets and/or threaten to do so, they have to listen. Furthermore, they have stated that they are "the leader in HD", but now they have to prove it. Bottom line is that sports is the "Killer-App" and we all want it. Call, write and e-mail the top executives at DIRECTV (you can find their names easily enough on the WEB or on the SEC Website).

mdm

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
How to make DirecTV carry ESPN-HD
If you're going to delve into science fiction, why not tell us how to do something of real importance, like winning the lottery or something.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You are right, mdm, that we are DirecTV's customers, but just because we don't send ESPN a check every month doesn't mean we are not also ESPN's customers.

I wrote to ESPN to tell them I thought they were handling their HDTV break-out wrong - IMO, that they should provide the hi-def programming free for a while while they ramp up programming and we become addicted to the crystal clear pictures. Then, when the content justifies a premium, start charging everyone. Isn't TV/HDTV just another drug?

I realize that ESPN and DirecTV would prefer long-term contracts, but there is nothing that says they are required, or that they can't be structured so that the fees kick in in a year or two, when the programming justifies the outrageous premiums that ESPN apparently believes they are worth now.

As much as I like ESPN, I will not pay a premium for the little hi-def content they have now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I for one can't see threatening Directv with anything.

They have provided me with HBO and HDNEt for free and have also shown me NBA-HD as part of my NBA League Pass package.

Furthermore I believe that currently ESPN-HD has nothing of true value to sell. I realize fans of baseball may disagree but clearly ESPN is not ready for full time High Def and therefore we as consumers shouldn't want to pay a premium for a service that doesn't exist to date.

Come the fall when ESPN HD has perhaps college and pro football on a weekly HD basis I'm sure Directv will have no problem packaging the games at a premium to us and paying the tab. Right now it appears as if both sides are as much to blame for the lack of a deal.

While I love High Def and long for more product, I believe that major players like ESPN and Directv must come to an equitable deal today that works, otherwise it will be the consumer that pays the added cost in the future.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Ken,

Criticism accepted. How about if we change the title of the thread to "How to Motivate DTV to Carry ESPN". I do believe that the ability of this online community to influence the decisions of vendors through collective economic action both exists and if deployed is a somewhat formidable force.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:

I do believe that the ability of this online community to influence the decisions of vendors through collective economic action both exists and if deployed is a somewhat formidable force.

Doubt it very much. Given that practically everyone on this forum is an HD-viewer, I think we may tend to believe that there are a lot of HD-viewers out there. The reality is more likely that there are still relatively few of us compared to the total number of viewers (the remainder being SD viewers).

Unfortunately, I think the answer is that we are just going to have to wait. Calling into the Directv customer service center and complaining or "voting" with your dollars will not likely make much of a difference. Hopefully, it will happen sooner rather than later though.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Furthermore I believe that currently ESPN-HD has nothing of true value to sell. I realize fans of baseball may disagree but clearly ESPN is not ready for full time High Def and therefore we as consumers shouldn't want to pay a premium for a service that doesn't exist to date.
As posted in the main ESPN-HD thread, the schedule of upcoming events in HDTV:
Quote:
4/20 Major League Baseball Rangers at A's 8:00

4/27 Major League Baseball Red Sox at Angels 8:00

4/28 National Hockey League Conference Semi-Finals Game 3 8:00

4/30 National Hockey League Conference Semi-Finals Game 4 7:00

5/4 Major League Baseball Mariners at White Sox 8:00

5/10 National Basketball Association Conference Semi-Final Game 7:00 or 9:30

5/11 Major League Baseball Red Sox at Twins 8:00

5/13 National Hockey League Conference Finals Game 3 8:00

5/15 National Hockey League Conference Finals Game 4 7:00

5/18 Major League Baseball Phillies at Astros 8:00

5/20 National Basketball Association Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 8:00

5/24 National Basketball Association Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 8:00

5/25 Major League Baseball Twins at Mariners 8:00

5/26 National Basketball Association Eastern Conference Finals Game 4 8:00

5/27 National Hockey League Stanley Cup Finals Game 1 8:00

5/29 National Hockey League Stanley Cup Finals Game 2 8:00

6/14 College World Series Game 3 1:30

6/14 College World Series Game 4 7:00

6/15 College World Series Game 5 3:00

6/17 College World Series Game 9 2:00

6/21 College World Series Championship Game 1 7:00

6/22 College World Series Championship Game 2 3:00

6/29 Major League Baseball Mets at Yankees 8:00
That schedule looks pretty compelling to me.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Ok Ken,

Criticism accepted. How about if we change the title of the thread to "How to Motivate DTV to Carry ESPN". I do believe that the ability of this online community to influence the decisions of vendors through collective economic action both exists and if deployed is a somewhat formidable force.
As I've said before, it takes two to tango. Both ESPN, MSO's & DBS carriers all are involved with this issue.

I agree we need to exert our collective influence with all involved parties to effect a change in the obvious impasse.

I very strongly disagree with the idea ESPN HD was rolled out too soon.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bergman
Furthermore I believe that currently ESPN-HD has nothing of true value to sell.
I couldn't disagree more.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
As posted in the main ESPN-HD thread, the schedule of upcoming events in HDTV:That schedule looks pretty compelling to me.
I posted that schedule on the other thread. And I said there, I think one game a week on ESPN-HD would be great. But look at that schedule!! :eek: Something for everyone (except football - but that's coming).

This time of year is pretty exciting for sports with championships to be determined in 3 sports (NBA/NHL/NCAA Baseball) and another (MLB) regular season.

And ESPN will take part in all of it. It's not too early for ESPN-HD - it's the perfect time. Let's just get it out there so we can see it!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't like to be negative about comments on this forum, BUT. In my estimation, trying to motivate DirecTV by canceling services reminds me a little of my canceling service from my bankrupt cable company over its failure to acknowledge HDTV. They don't even know I'm gone and only now 3 mos. later Adelphia says maybe there is such a thing as HDTV -- entirely unrelated of course to anything I've done.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My opininion (IMHO) is that DTV is very susceptible to an economic boycott at this point in time. IMHO, the Fox accountants are all over DTV right now on revenue issues, renewal issues, etc. The valuation of DTV to FOX hinges upon three things; 1) the renewabilty of the existing revenue stream, 2) the degree to which existing customers can be sold value added services (HDTV), and 3) the degree to which DTV can take share from OTA, Cable and DISH.

The bottom line is that the merger between FOX and DTV is in the due diligence phase. That means that everying that DTV has alleged about its business is being called into question by skeptical M&A folks at Fox. This in turn means that now is a great time to make the obvious recurring revenue from a segment of DTV go down, if you want political leverage at DTV. The bottom line is that now is a great time to make a statement, if you are willing to endure a little bit of short term pain for some long term good.

That said, I completely acknowledge the validity of anyone whose viewpoint is based upon the precept of, "I like what DTV is doing now, why should I inconvenience myself to get something more". I am not trying to suggest that anyone who does not agree with this point of view change their opinion. I am simply saying that if you agree, making DTV feel some pain, might be a good thing to do.

Cheers,

Bernd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.