AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to upgrade to a high-def set but couldn't get what I needed for my Sony 36" Wega 480i, so I've decided to ride it out for a year or two and watch the technologies and the prices.

In the meantime, I want to get the best I can out of the Sony. I've rigged all my connections as S-video with decent cables and this was a step up from my previous composites. Here are some questions that I have...

I have directv and a hughes GCEBOA, which has no component output. Since the Sony has component in, would I benefit significantly from a satellite box that has it?

Short of that, would it make any sense to CONVERT either svideo or composite from the sat box to component for the TV? Where are the best sources of "converter" devices?

Are there video enhancers that might let me tweak my svideo? I've read about the Tributaries compensator (299.) which is intended for long svideo runs. Would this be of value to me on a short run?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Gary

Welcome to AVSforum. For a 36" analog display in your situation, I agree with your plans to wait until you have the resources and then get what you want. HDTV is coming down in price so time is on your side. You will find a variety of advice on the AVSforum and here is my opinion. I think switching to S video over composite is wise. I watch DVDs and ReplayTV by S video and the S video looks better than composite with more background detail on my 34" widescreen direct view (34xbr800). I have read that component looks only a little better than S video so I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money right now to move to component. You may get a new HDTV with a DVI port and totally skip analog component technology.

There are expensive switchers and A/V receivers that will switch composite or S video to component but they are not cheap and whether you will get an image that is markedly better looking on a 36" analog is uncertain. I think I would save my pennies and get the HDTV. One thing you might try is getting some good S video cables from a place that will let you return them if they don't look better than the cables you have. On my DVD player I switched from the "in-the-box" freebie S video to one from AR (AR Pro model 6'). It was only about $20 and helped my DVD player. I also noticed improvement in my replaytv when I switched from in-the-box to www.bettercables.com silver serpent for about $70. Analog video cable can be improved if you have a good cable with good connectors but don't spend too much. At places like bettercables or www.amazon.com simply return them (for the cost of shipping) if they don't help.

Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Once the S-video comes out of the HDTV box, the TV converts it to component video. There is no need for an external converter.

Satellite and cable boxes give better picture quality from component outputs (if any) for some but not necessarily all channels. Analog channels may look better with composite while not looking better with S-video.

It is impossible to improve upon the S-video coming out of the HDTV box with an external converter unless the external converter is better than the same circuit built into your make and model of TV. Finding out which is better requires lots of technical know how and a "better" conveter is likely to quite expensive.

The HDTV video signal comes as component video. If the TV gets it not converted to S-video, the TV does not need to use its converter to get it back to component. Except that your TV cannot accept the 1080i scan rate of the HDTV box' conponent outputs.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.