Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD from Time Warner. I hooked up the component outputs to the component inputs of my 3 year old 36" Sony WEGA XBR (KV-36XBR400).

Problem: I'm seeing a beautiful high def image on the one HDTV channel offered here (HBO), *BUT* for 4:3 material on HBO and all other channels I tune to with the box,

I am only seeing about a 25" image in my 36" tube!! (surrounded by a 4" black border on all sides)

I did some digging. The SA 3100HD is supposed to be outputing 1080i. The component inputs on the back of the Sony are labled 1080i/480p/480i. This should be compatible right?

BTW, when HBO is showing a movie in widescreen letterbox format, the image stretches across the full width of the screen beautifully.

I got a cable guy to come out. Useless of course. I sent an email to Sony tech support earlier tonight. I'm going to try the high end audio store I purchased the set from tomorrow. Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks

Myles

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
To get a full screen 4:3 image, also run an S-Video cable to the Sony and switch to that input for non-HDTV viewing.

I don't know if the 3100 outputs both component video & S-Video at the same time or you have to switch between them.

The Sony is 'seeing' the 3100 component input as 1080i, which prevents it from zooming the 4:3 image to fill the screen.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Thats completely normal, since all the HD channels will be broadcast in standard 16:9 format, even for window-boxed 4:3 programs. Since you have a 4:3 set, the HD is displayed in the letterboxed 16:9 area on your set, and the 4:3 windowbox is within that area. The STBs like the SA3100HD assume a 16:9 set is being used thats why. If you are going to use a 4:3 set for HD you have to put up with this annoyance, sorry but that was your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh. I'm realizing now that I'm bein a noob. That makes sense. I also got a reply from Sony tech support (in 2 days!) saying about the same.

It wasn't really my choice to buy the 4:3 set. Had I asked you to give me the extra $1k to get a wide screen tube, I bet you would have made the choice not to give it to me. Therefore I have a 4:3. Besides, I watch a lot more 4:3 than 16:9 TV. I refuse to watch stretched, squished or hacked 4:3 broadcasts and I wouldn't want to unevenly burn the phosphors by black side-baring all the 4:3 I watch. My WEGA isn't perfect, but I don't believe there's a higher quality way to image video. There may be bigger, but as best I can tell, this tube is the brightest and most color and geometry accurate way to view video larger than 21" on earth. Still takes my breath away when I watch the colors of my Superbit Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

The SA3100HD does have SVHS output. I'm already using it to watch 4:3 fullscreen and doing the input flipping when I want to watch my 1 measily HD channel. Bummer. I guess it's Scientific Atlanta's fault for not switching the output format to 480i when switching to non-HD channels. But maybe all that on-the-fly format switching would be bad for the TV (doubtful).

Thanks for the help guys. Should've been able to figure this one out myself though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just because you are getting a 4/3 output or a box on the sides doesn't mean you are not getting 1080i. NBC runs that way most of the time, and the shape can be 4/3 and 1080i. You can also watch CBS on the Saturday 230 basketball today and notice it was big time 1080i HD and than the very next game with Kentucky was also 1080i, also HD and looked just short of horrible. Same channel, both 1080i, both HD, but only one set of Alpha equipment for one great broadcast. My point is this happens every week and I knew this before I ever got an HD set because it also looks that much better in analog. Shape or just because it says 1080i aren't the only driving factors. You may be right in your example, but shape isnt absolute.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
'Addicted Help':

"Just because you are getting a 4/3 output or a box on the sides doesn't mean you are not getting 1080i. NBC runs that way most of the time, and the shape can be 4/3 and 1080i"

You are mistaken here. HD is a 16:9 format and NBC does NOT "run that way most of the time". All of their primetime lineup as well as Leno is 16:9 HD. Images that are 4:3 are SD, not HD ....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Addicted Help!!
Just because you are getting a 4/3 output or a box on the sides doesn't mean you are not getting 1080i....
Most of what you say is incorrect.

HDTV is always 16:9 (or 'scope' AR, like 2.35:1).

4:3 that is 1080i, is upconverted and not native HDTV.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Addicted Help!!
You can also watch CBS on the Saturday 230 basketball today and notice it was big time 1080i HD and than the very next game with Kentucky was also 1080i, also HD and looked just short of horrible. Same channel, both 1080i, both HD, but only one set of Alpha equipment for one great broadcast.
Another thing to point out from Addicted's post -- the Kentucky game was NOT HD. The PQ looked "just short of horrible" because it was SD. Again, the game was NOT HD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.