AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend bought a NEC XG1351 few weeks ago,and he was not satisfied with it,he use SONY 1272 before,and he said the nec is harder to control to convergence!and it can not get YPRPB input,he wants sell me for about $5k.

i think it is good deal,because i have see it several times,and it is really do a better picture than my imager601.

so i think i will buy,if i can sell my 601.

but i still want to know if XG1351 can upgrade to accept component vide?

and how to upgrade to have a ACAT function?

thanks any answer

by the way i will need 1351 service manual,how much will the reasonable price to get it?

thanks

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Hi moome,

The NEC XG1351 can not and will not take a direct component video feed. The only models which accept component input in the XG series are the latest XG1352 and the XG852.

You need a external component to RGB transcoder.

regards,

Li On

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Hi moome,

If you want the detail, it's a LONG story!

I once had a XG852 which accepts a direct component feed. But the projector don't work well with Marcovision enabled component feed including component progressive from a progressive DVD player. And the component output in 1080i/720p from a BSD tuner. There is fleshing horizontal line at top and bottom very frequenely.

So I tried the Mit. D2001 component to RGB transcoder on my XG852 to convert BSD 1080i to RGB instead of a direct component connection to the projector. The fleshing line is gone but the picture looked VERY dark. ALL shadow detail was lose. Turn up the Brightness setting on the projector won't help. The D2001 is not suitable for the XG852.

Will the D2001 works well with a XG1351? I don't know. You need to find out yourself. Good luck!

regards,

Li On

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use D2001 with DVD progressive out,and on d2001,i swith it with HV separate output (5lineRGBHV) or CS output (4line RGBS),and the black level is too high,i need turn the brightness to zero to lower the black level.

and if i change it with G-sync out,the black level is too low,needs turn the brightness high to get reasonable black level.

so i think you can try RGBHV 5line out to get brighter backgroung!

thanks

moome

· Registered
1,325 Posts
The NEC XG1351 is a MUCH better projector than the Sony 1272. Your friend needs some patience to learn to setup the NEC properly or have it professionally setup. Oh well, his loss and your gain. Seriously though, the NEC XG135 is one of the best 8" CRT projector's ever made.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Hi DMan,

Agree, the XG1351 is a much better projector than a 1272. A friend has a latest XG1352 and it's wonderful. I saw a old XG1350 (non LC) some time ago and the picture was not too great IMO.

regards,

Li On

· Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by moome
hi,thanks for quicjk reply,i have a misubishi D2001,is this good for 1080I?

and can it support 1280X1024?

thanks!
I use a D-2001 with my EH9501LC , for HDTV 1080i (BSD). To avoid the dark image, you need to use the #3 input (3 RCA) only.

If you use a japanese tuner you need the D-connector->3 component converter cable.

Then look at the back ot the D2001, on the right there is a switch that says FIX/Variable. Switch it to variable and then turn the small plastic screw until you see the image getting bright (its either dark or bright, nothing in between). This screw position has an effect if only used on #3 connector, as specified in the manual.I believe the 2 other switches should be set to HV and 1v.

It should get bright. But I noticed that many BSD HD movies are originally quite dark compared to the TV programs on the same HD channel, even without using a D2001.

The D2001 is a very high quality converter/line buffer and gives a great HD image, no matter what projector you use.

To use it with an HTPC and DVD, connect the H and V out of the VGA Card to the H & V of the projector direclty, and use the D2001 to amplify only the RGB to 1v. signal, as the D2001 H/V input might cut out the image that can be generated by HTPC VGA cards and powerstrip,

The clamping options on the projector can also influence this dark/bright image issue.

Li On, How does the Keydigital transcoder look with BSD ?

Cheers

Rob

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Hi Rob,

Yes, I tried all the controls on the D2001. It just don't work with the XG85. The KD-CTCA2 gave the same DARK picture. Actually it's not dark, just no shadow detail. In bright scene the picture is excellent.

The only transcoder that works with the XG85 is the Mit. D2001, the Faroudja based line doubler, not the actually D2001 component to RGB transcoder/switcher. Besides line doubling, the D2001 also converts component to RGB. The resulting 1080i HD picture in RGB looked STUNNING! Super sharp and punch, and no problem in dark scene. Too bad the fleshing horizontal line is still there after the RGB convert! And it's really too much for $3000!

Good to hear the D2001 works with a Electrohome unit as there is never a Electrohome model which accepts a direct component feed.

regards,

Li On

· Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi Rob,

The only transcoder that works with the XG85 is the Mit. D2001, the Faroudja based line doubler, not the actually D2001 component to RGB transcoder/switcher. Li On
Li On, you mean the VC-2001 (Visual Center). I have been trying buy one of those. although I was told that it does not handle HDTV signals well because of low bandwith (?). Please tell me more about the one you use, Is it a black or silver case ?

Cheers

Rob

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Hi Rob,

Yes, it's the VC2001, the line doubler. The one I tried has a silver case. The black and silver should be the same besides the case color.

I didn't really tested it's line doubling performance so I can't really comment. I guess it should perform like a Faroudja VP251.

Besides line doubling, it works as a component to RGB transcoder. It converts 1080i/720p HDTV from component to RGB. It won't change the HD scan rate which means it won't do 1080i to 1080p or any up/down scaling of any signal besides 480i to 480p.

IMO it's a WONDERFUL transcoder. You can adjust brightness, contrast, color, sharpest, gamma, R/G/B values all sort of these through OSD in it's transcoding process. And the resulting picture is super excellent in my test. That is if one can affort a $3000 transcoder! :)

regards,

Li On

· Registered
244 Posts
Li On, Thanks for the great info.

$3000 seems a bit steep indeed. Where did you see it at this price ? Do you know of any shops in your aera where they have it ?

Cheers.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.