AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tutorial should work for most AVC encoded movies no matter what the current container. I have had success with WMV-HD, MKV or just about anything I have thrown at it. Also to date I have not been able to extract a .264 file from a MKV and had MF6 accept it without trying to encode it. I never allow MF6 to encode. I only use MF6 to create actual HVDVD_TS folder. For a .ts file with MPEG2 encoding the tutorial works well from the Official HD DVD authoring thread here at AVS Forum. .

Programs needed.

MeGUI

H264info

tsMuxeR

Ulead MF6+ with HD PowerPack

Nero 7 (I think imgburn may work to burn the folders, but I have not tried it yet.)

AVISynth (Thanks Allargon. Like I said WTF do I know)

I also have the halia media splitter installed and ffdshow. I believe these are needed, but I like many struggled so who really knows what stuff is needed.

1. Open MeGui. Select tools from the top tabs then scroll down to AVS Script creator.

2. Click on the "..." box to browse for file. (MKV, MPEG's, and others will show, but WMV-HD's will not. Select view all files if you are trying to convert a WMV-HD file)

3. Unselect the resize option to remove the checkmark.

4. Click save file. This will kick you back to the main MeGUI interface. Sometimes you need to select it from the windows bar.

5a. Open the AVS file with notepad if the file is not 1920x1080 format. If the file is 1920x????. I simply add a line underneath that says "addborders(0,140,0,140)" for a file that is say 1920x800. (If your final file is not in 1920x1080 format MF6 will attempt to re encode the file which is bad)

5b. Open the AVS file with notepad if the file is not 1920x1080 format. If the file is 1280x720. I use a resize command like this "Lanczos4Resize(1920,1080) # Lanczos4 (Sharp)"

6. Click save in notepad.

6a. At this point I have started to reselect the "..." Box for the AVISynth Script seen at the top of the photo in Step 7. This seems to bring up the new AVS Script in another preview window and should show it in the correct 1920x1080 format. This has solved the mystery of having to re encode the entire movie because MF6 will not accept it correctly at Step 40 and the eventual OH CRAP at Step 49 confirming you are FUBAR and going to have to re encode again. This also allows you to avoid the entire Step 10a-d.

7. Select an output format. I use RAWAVC.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
8. Select a profile in the third line of MeGUI. I use Standalone-HD-DVD.

9. Select a destination folder in the second line of MeGui.

10a. As a fail safe I have lately been going into the config box here.

10b. I click on the load default settings box.

10c. I then reselect the standalone-HD-DVD profile.

10d. After this I select ok and usually a pop up window asks if I would like to save the profile settings. I click yes.

11. Now in the main MeGUI window I go to the top tools tab again and select the bitrate calculator.

12a. A window pops up with the calculator. It should have the correct movie time length already loaded. If you have enquened a few files it should already have the audio selected to AC3 and a bitrate of 448. If it doesn't select these now from the drop down box then add in the bit rate.

12b. Select the framerate to read 29.97. After this is done you need to add 1 second back to the lenght of the clip. (Don't ask me why as I don't know)

13. If the file is less than 1 hour I use will burn to a DVD5. In the select a size window enter 4.2 gb. If it is less than 2 hours or very close I use a DVD9 and select a size of 7.6 gb. Then click Ok.

14. Click Ok again to copy bitrate settings into profile.

15a. Click enquene.

15b. An error will show up with a mod16 warning. Just click Yes to continue

16. Check in the Queue to see that you now have to items ready for processing.

17. Click back to the main input tab.

18. In the lower audio side of the interface click the "..." box to select a file. Select your same video file from the video steps.

19. In the second line select the destination folder for the audio file and select a file name for it.

20. Select Aften-AC3 for the profile to encode too.

21. Click Enquene.

22. Select the queue in the top tabs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
23. Verify that the audio encode is ready to go after the two video files. (I usually set to encode a few movies or shows at night before bed and they will be done when I get home from work the next day. A 1 hour clip usually takes about 4 hours total on my O/C Q6600 processor running at 3.2 gHz. If you have a slow processor take up chess
Full 2 hour movie about 6 hours or so.)

24. When the encodes are finished. Open H264info. Select the "..." box to browse for a file. Select your newly encoded .264 file.

25. Select the second line in H264info interface select the "..." box and rename your file again. Make sure and add .264 to the end of the file. I usually use the file name plus 2997.264 ex MOVIE2997.264 so I know that it has been changed to the correct frame rate. Then click OK.

26. Check the box that says 3:2 Pulldown.

27. Click Start. (This should take about 5-15 minutes depending on movie length and computer speed.)

28. Close H264info and Open tsMuxer.

29. Click Add file from the top.

30. Select the video portion of your movie you created in H264info. ex. MOVIE2997.264

31. Click Add again to select the audio file that MeGUI created in AC3 format for you.

32a. Verify that both the audio and video files will work in MF6. The video should be [email protected] 1920:1080 (29.97 pulldown) and audio should be 6 channel AC3 448 kbps. I have noticed recently that many files end up 2 channel audio from MeGUI. For these I have been using a combination of MKVExtract and Eac3to to get a 448 kbps 6 channel AC3 audio file. I am sure there are other ways to get a good audio file too.

32.b Select a new destination for the file if you want or it will default to the folder where the H264info file was saved.

33. Click Start Mux. (This should take about 5-10 minutes depending on file size and computer speed.)

34. Close tsMuxer when complete and Open MF6+. Make sure to click the Project settings icon and make sure there is a check in the "Do not convert Compliant MPEG Files" checkbox

35. Click on the HD DVD Standard Create disc type button.

36. Click Next.

37. Unselect the check in front of create menu.

38. Click the add file button.

39. Select the newly made .ts file from tsMuxeR. Then click OK. (It should have the same name as the file from H264Info only end in .ts ex. MOVIE2997.ts If MF6 give you a file not accessible error it is because you don't have the HD powerpack in my experience.)

40. At this point the file should show the same length on your size bar on the bottom. You can select from HD DVD on 4.7 or HD DVD on 8.5. Doesn't make a difference, but will show that the file is going to work properly if it has not changed size. If if changed size something happened at the beginning with MeGUI and the standalone-HD-DVD profile. Not sure what happens, but if you do the load default the reselect of the standalone-HD-DVD profile it seems to work every time.

41. Now I click add chapters. I have had a few issues with locking up my HD A2 or HD A3 when playing these, but as some have said just skip a few chapters ahead on these troublesome movies then skip back when you are playing your movie in your player. You won't have to on all of them, but some will require this. (Don't ask because I don't know how to fix it)

42. I use the Auto Add function now. I select a 5 minute interval then click ok. It usually goes wacky for a minute or so then will allow you to click next. If MF6+ crashes I re open MF6 and follow the same steps to this point, but change my chapter interval time to 7 minutes. Sometimes I have to go to 10 or 15 minutes so don't freak if it crashes more than once. (Again don't ask why because I don't know. I just know this works)

43. Click Next.

44. Click Next and you will be at the burn Stage.

45. I unselect the create to disc checkbox.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
46. Also unselect the archive images of slideshows box.

47. Then select the check for save folders and click the folder to browse a place to save your HD DVD folder.

48. Now click the burn icon at the bottom. If this is a first time it will warn that this will take a long time to render. Click OK.

49. It should now jump to 99% complete on the top status bar in less than a minute. Then the bottom status bar will chug through. It will take up to about 30 minutes for a 2 hour movie depending on movie length and computer speed. It it stays starts a long encode then something went bad. Check the Files with something like Mediainfo. If it all looks good then I have no answer other than to start back at step 1 with MeGUI. Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. To date I have not had a movie that I wasn't successful with after starting over.

50. When complete close MF6+. Open Nero Burning ROM.

51. Select a DVD-ROM (UDF). Make sure that No multisession tab is selected.

52. Select the UDF type as xbox compatibility mode. Click OK past the warning if it comes up.

53. Label the disk at this point.

54. In the Nero interface navigate to the folder where the HVDVD_TS Folder is stored.

55. Drag the folders into the left side of the Nero interface as folders to be burned.

56. Click the Nero Burn Icon when done.

57. Nero will do the rest.

58. Put your newly created HD DVD in your HD DVD player of choice and Enjoy. If everything worked as I described till this point and you get an error message try ejecting the disk and letting the player read it again. If that doesn't work then go back to step 50 and re burn the disk. You could have had a bad piece of media. The slower I burn the better my results have been. Good quality media helps too.

Good luck. I didn't realize how many steps it takes until I started writing this guide. It seems like a lot of steps to get one movie, but after you do it a few times it gets easier. The encoding takes a long time, but the actual process doesnt take to long once you have it down. I probably spend 5 minutes creating each one if I dont stare at the computer and wait for it to do its thing. I wrote this entire guide off the top of my head. I came back and added the pictures after the write up to offer a easy step by step. This took me countless hours to figure out, but after I got it figured out I have burned dozens of videos, shows, etc. Thanks to all the guys that have helped. (mtallent, doom9 forum members, and anyone I forgot) I pieced this method together with help from others. I didn't figure any of this out myself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have screenshots of every step, but I decided this should be enough. If anyone needs more clarification on any step let me know and I will throw up a picture. Hopefully I dont have to.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you can. If you have a HD DVD Burner, but I don't so I do this. And the blank media is really cheap and picture quality is very good. IMO

·
Registered
737 Posts
ThrottleAbuse, thank you very, very much for the time you put into this!!

I assume that
Quote:
5a. Open the AVS file with notepad if the file is not 1920x1080 format. If the file is 1920x????. I simply add a line underneath that says "addborders(0,140,0,140)" for a file that is say 1920x800.

means that we can adjust the first and second 140 to change the height of the top and bottom black bars? (If I want the movie with slightly shorter black bars on the top than bottom)

Also, if the MKV already includes a 1080p .264 file, it's not necessary to re-encode it, is it?

Lastly, is it possible to add subtitles?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
MF is on sale this weekend at Fry's. I think I will pick it up rather than the Nero add-on.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/14904165

Note that Fry's has MF 6 on sale not MF 6+. Ulead doesn't even have an upgrade offer of MF 6 users listed on their site.

Saved me a $20+ (after rebate) mistake. Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
What does it mean if it says, "[XXX.ts] is not accessible." when I try to put the file into Ulead MF?

I can load just the .264 file into Ulead, so I imagine the video is not the problem...but I can't load a .ts file. It thinks for a while, and then comes back with "[XXX.ts] is not accessible.". The file's on a USB HD, but when I got the error with an earlier version and copied that .TS file to the desktop, I got the same error.

Any ideas/help? Any programs besides Ulead MF I can try? (I'm one day into my TBYB demo, and not getting any closer to the B part at this pace.)

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 /forum/post/14901883

What does it mean if it says, "[XXX.ts] is not accessible." when I try to put the file into Ulead MF?

I can load just the .264 file into Ulead, so I imagine the video is not the problem...but I can't load a .ts file. It thinks for a while, and then comes back with "[XXX.ts] is not accessible.". The file's on a USB HD, but when I got the error with an earlier version and copied that .TS file to the desktop, I got the same error.

Any ideas/help? Any programs besides Ulead MF I can try? (I'm one day into my TBYB demo, and not getting any closer to the B part at this pace.)

Haven't tried any of this, but IIRC, .ts files are standard MPEG-2, so you may want to try the method in the alternate HD DVD Authoring thread. Thanks a lot for the post, OP! Can't wait to try it!!!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 /forum/post/14901883

It's been a while since I've messed much with the Ulead software, but there are generally two issues that happen when the program will not accept a file:

1) The file has no audio, or it has multiple audio tracks. Sometime the program will accept video without audio and sometimes it will not. For example I think it will accept a .mpg file without audio and it will not accept a .m2ts without audio. I also ran into some issues with files that had multiple audio tracks and I had to use tsmuxer to get down to a single audio track before Ulead would accept the file.

2) Some other sort of non-compatability issue that I cannot figure out. The Ulead support is inept and just gives predetermined answers in my opinion and I had to figure out #1 on my own. I still have not been able to figure out why the program will not accept certain files that other programs will accept, but hopefully if you're going step by step though a process then this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
It's interesting to note that McGraw-Hill has a book called "HD-DVD Demystified" scheduled for release this month. I wonder how much information it has in it. Their own site says it is still scheduled for release though I notice some discount and liquidation places have it listed (with the release date which may be December in some countries).

Is it MF 6+ that will mux the files without recoding? What about Video Studio 11 Plus which also has the same HD-DVD disk creation interface? Note that Fry's has MF 6 on sale not MF 6+. Ulead doesn't even have an upgrade offer of MF 6 users listed on their site.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
peteer01 did you get the HD Powerpack? I am betting no. I had the same problem until I bought it. I will update the original posts with a tip there as I hated having to dig for pages when I had questions.

As far as the add borders thing goes. MF6+ will re encode anything that is not 1920x1080. So you need to add borders to get to those numbers no matter what the current sizes. If a file is already 16x9 format like a 1208x720 you need to do the resize to get to 1920x1080. Again I will add a tip.

I have not had a mkv that I was able to extract the .264 video file from that would not be re encoded by MF6. You always want MeGUI to do the encode and MF6 to jump to 99%.

If a mod stumbles in here can you take out my brain fart from the title and remove make from the subject. It was late and I screwed up. DOH.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse /forum/post/14906363

peteer01 did you get the HD Powerpack? I am betting no. I had the same problem until I bought it. I will update the original posts with a tip there as I hated having to dig for pages when I had questions.

That could very well be the problem, as I'm not able to have any luck with various files...that said, I'm not planning to buy MF6+ and the HD Powerpack, only to find out that I still can't get things working...

It's really unfortunate that support has dropped from VideoStudio X2, and that there's no easier way to do this... I'm tempted to give this idea up, and start working on reencoding things to play on my Xbox 360, and get a second box for the other room...just move the USB HD back and forth.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 /forum/post/14915560

I'm not planning to buy MF6+ and the HD Powerpack, only to find out that I still can't get things working...

I have the HD pack installed because it was one of the first ways to do BDMV/AVCHD. It is still possible to see that error with the pack. I rechecked and when I get that exact error it's usually due to audio, but if you're following the steps I can't explain why that would happen. ThrottleAbuse could very well be correct that the reason you're seeing the error is due to the pack adding support for ts/m2ts type files, or it could be the audio error if you're not following the steps. If you're following the process and have a short test clip that won't load on your system, I could double check to see if it will load with the pack.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts