AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16X DVD-ROM drive in my HTPC and I'm wondering if there is some software available that can make it spin slower. It's much too loud for when I'm watching DVD movies. Are there other ways that people have found to quiet down their drives?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nero DriveSpeed will do it, though I think you have to acquire the Nero package first. It sits in your tool tray and allows you to configure spin-up/down and rotation speeds.

-Doug

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What brand DVD rom is it? If found nerodrive speed on my Pioneer to work with audio CD's but some DVD's still spun up too fast. Pioneer has its own little app to slow the drive which works 100% of the time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
What brand DVD rom is it?
Acer DVP 1640A.

Is Nero Drivespeed part of the regular Nero program? I have Nero 5, but I've never seen Drivespeed. What is the latest version of Drivespeed. What's the difference between Drivespeed, CDSpeed, and DVDSpeed?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sedavis76
Acer DVP 1640A.
Sounds like an OEM version of the Pioneer 115, just like the AOpen version is an OEM 105.

It can't be slowed down. At least I know the slot-loader version can't be.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my drive can't be slowed down, what drive would you recommend that can be slowed down? I don't need it to do anything other than play DVD's and CD's.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 http://cdromtool.sourceforge.net/downloads.php works for my Hitachi DVD drive while Nero Drivespeed would not. This allows me to specify 2X speed and keep my drive quiet even when using DVD. It is also more flexible and adjustable compared to Nero Drivespeed. Nero only works for CD usage while DVD still spins up at times and sounds like a vibrator :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My Pioneer 106 slot can be slowed with Pioneers own app. I'm told that most modern drives are very quiet anyway, so you could just grab a new one that is silent without needing to slow it down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.