AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer any advice or pointer on how to make TheaterTek on WinXP region free. I already have put RPC1 region free firmware on the Pioneer DVD ROM. I have tried DVD Genie v4.1 but WinXP is still using up the number of times left to change Region under DVD device property. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wierd!! I use region killer and still cant play a region3 dvd. Tried everything, it just wont play. My dvdrom drive is region free.

What to do??? Used to be able to play it a year ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you installed XP SP1? Several of my friends have reported problems with Regionkiller and SP1. That's why my htpc is running without SP1. And Regionkiller works fine for me.

The region free tool from DVDIdle does work even on my laptop with a rpc2 drive set to region 1. Could not believe it. I think it's a little bit expensive, but it saves a second dvd drive in the htpc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have sp1 installed and regionkiller works fine for me.

the only thing I do is before starting up another region is go out of the dvd player, enter the new region dvd in the dvd rom player and startup the software player again.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Isn't the whole benfit of RK2 (over DVDGenie and others) that it does it automatically on the lfy...

I just insert DVD and it plays.. any region and RCE disks are simply sorted...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. The other system I had with win2k, I went into player(sw) to change region and it locked system to reg 3. Couldnt play dvd without RK and the system sometimes would act up on certain dvds.

I have XP with sp1 and cant get these S E Asia disks to play. The player says some... like .. wrong region or unplayable region, and this is with RK . Windvd wount even do anything. It just gives an OSD of STOP.

Stumped!!!!!!!!

I'll try DVDIdle or maybe their other one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I will give RK a try and it that fail, sounds like I'd have to spend $40 on Region-Free. I'm also running WinXP with SP1.

They don't seems to have a money back guarantee though in case it doesn't work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlam
Thanks guys. I will give RK a try and it that fail, sounds like I'd have to spend $40 on Region-Free. I'm also running WinXP with SP1.

They don't seems to have a money back guarantee though in case it doesn't work.
They have try before you buy - you download DVDRegionFree and try it but you are limited to 30 days and 15 minutes of playback at a time. You then buy a registration code which unlocks the restrictions. I've just bought the code since there is no RPC-1 f/w for my drive and DVDRegionFree just works for all the DVDs that I've tried.

_

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm having a problem getting this to work. I installed DVD Region Killer and then downloaded a program for my DVD drive that disables RPC checks. So far so good, I disable the RPC, run and enable RK, and load up ZP. But after hitting play, the drive spins up, and either ZP crashes (taking RK with it) or it gives me a "Macrovision Failure" error. When I run PowerDVD, I get the "Video Out must be disabled" error that I assume means the disc is not R1 (nothing is hooked up to the video out). The disc (R2 Adventures of Baron Munchausen) worked fine in my multiregion STB, so it's not the disc.

The drive is a Lite-On 166S, which already had the latest firmware, according to the information from http://www.rpc1.org . What am I doing wrong? My box is running XP Pro with SP1.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Im having similar problems too.

Makes it worse is that my drive is rpc1.... :(

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBlacklow
I'm having a problem getting this to work. I installed DVD Region Killer and then downloaded a program for my DVD drive that disables RPC checks. So far so good, I disable the RPC, run and enable RK, and load up ZP. But after hitting play, the drive spins up, and either ZP crashes (taking RK with it) or it gives me a "Macrovision Failure" error. When I run PowerDVD, I get the "Video Out must be disabled" error that I assume means the disc is not R1 (nothing is hooked up to the video out). The disc (R2 Adventures of Baron Munchausen) worked fine in my multiregion STB, so it's not the disc.

The drive is a Lite-On 166S, which already had the latest firmware, according to the information from http://www.rpc1.org . What am I doing wrong? My box is running XP Pro with SP1.
The messages you are getting has nothing to do with region coding. It is from Macrovision which is a copy protection scheme. You must have TV out enabled on your computer (or a TV connected to it). In such case, Macrovision will prevent DVD playback. If you disable TV out, you will find that you are able to play your DVDs just fine. There are some software out there that will disable Macrovision, but they tend to be hardware specific. The best solution IMHO is from DVDIdle ( http://www.dvdidle.com ) I have used DVD Region Free and now DVD Idle Pro and am absolutely satisfied with these programs. They will make any HTPC completely region free and Macrovision free (including RPC2 drives without modifying firmware or BIOS).

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I don't have TV-out enabled, nor is there anything connected to the video card but a VGA cable. I've posted this message on a DVDROM firmware forum, and they haven't been able to help either. I'm going to get extreme and remove the DVD drive and reinstall it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just want to report that after trying RegionKill, it seems to work for me so far. Configuration is WinXP SP1, DX9a, TT 1.5.23, Pioneer DVD117 w/ RPC1.

RegionKill is loaded at startup and is always enabled.

I don't really care about Macrovision since I'm using DVI output on an ATI Radeon 9000.

·
Registered
153 Posts
xradman

You may be right, at least in my case. I've been having problems. Forgot that I had tv-out on. I'll try it out and post results.

Thanx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.