AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is measuring my viewing angles as simple as laying down a Set Square (triangle tool) and measuring the angle from the center of the screen to the viewing position?

I'm finishing my basement and have a pretty good idea of where the TV is going to go and how the sectional is gonna be laid out.

If it's not from the center of the screen where/how do I measure it?

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used a square last night and came up with a viewing angle of 30ish degrees for the sides of the sectional. I'd imagine people on the chaise portion are gonna be off parameters unless I get an emmissive display.

Does 30 degrees seem average for a sectional?

·
Registered
18,447 Posts
Another way to measure off-axis viewing is this: if you know the distance from the panel to the center of your viewing position, and then how far off-center that viewing is, go to a B&M, find a demo tv that is the size you want and pace off the distances and then view the demo for a while and see how the off-axis viewing is. Do keep in mind that the off-axis viewing is totally dependent on the type of panel you have (IPS, PVA, etc). Some are much better at off-axis than others, but there are trade-offs for that.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another way to measure off-axis viewing is this: if you know the distance from the panel to the center of your viewing position, and then how far off-center that viewing is, go to a B&M, find a demo tv that is the size you want and pace off the distances and then view the demo for a while and see how the off-axis viewing is. Do keep in mind that the off-axis viewing is totally dependent on the type of panel you have (IPS, PVA, etc). Some are much better at off-axis than others, but there are trade-offs for that.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. OLED would pretty much solve that problem but a 65" is expensive PLUS I need something that will handle motion well.

Is the angle measured from the center of the TV?

·
Registered
18,447 Posts
My understanding is that off-axis (angle of view) is measured from dead-center of the panel. I've always been a little doubtful of mfr claims so I wanted some visual proof instead of relying on the mfrs claim. If you plan in installing on the wall, you should also be aware of the horizontal viewing axis, as well as the vertical axis. I never bothered with absolute angles of degree. My panel is on a console at about head height (to dead center) if I stand in front of it. I just found a demo that was about the same height, stepped off the distance to my couch and then went left to right until the picture started to wash out. I took note of the panel type and started my search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts